Utah State Might Score

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Utah State Might Score

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I don't think the outcome of this game is in question at all. I predict 49-10.

I think Utah State drives enough at least once to get a field goal, and I think there is some other play that gives them a TD. But that's it. I would be shocked if they get to 14 or 17.

Film study had to be fun during this week. I wonder if there was conversation like, well if Weber State could do that, then we could do x,y,z...

I am confident that our 2nd string will get some reps and hopefully continue piling it on. I predict Jaren won't play after halftime. I just want a healthy-ish squad in Las Vegas in 9 days.

And one more thing, pretty pretty please outclass the Aggies in sportsmanship tonight. Every time we play them there are chippy after the play scuffles and usually several personal foul penalties. I want a clean game, especially if the downtrodden Aggies start to get frustrated and bitter. As fans, we say good game to the visitors and don't belittle.

It's Utah State's superbowl tonight. They won't go bowling and we are the biggest name and highest ranking on their schedule.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Utah State Might Score

Post by byufan4ever »

Yep, we win big as long as the refs don't try to assert their will into the game. This may be the last time that we play them in some time so let's crush them leaving them no doubt who is superior. Personally I do like local rivalries so I would like to see us continue to play them occasionally. My one wish is that Hall survives the game. We have a terrible track record with QBs getting injured against USU.

Why is this being played on Thursday instead of Friday? I'm well aware of this being the game right before conference, but hasn't always/usually been on Friday?

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

The game was originally scheduled for tomorrow - but it was moved to a Thursday night game (presumably requested by ESPN)

https://www.si.com/college/byu/football ... l-schedule

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Coaching changes need to be made. We don't deserve to be ranked.

I said earlier that I would be worried if we didn't blow out Wyoming and that I'd hit the panic button if we didn't blow out USU. I'm 30 minutes away from hitting the button.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

A win never felt more like a loss. Man we make winning look so hard and ugly.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

There is something about playing down to an opponent's level that BYU has a problem with. I and most everyone was thinking this game would be a blowout. But, by allowing the Aggie run game to get established early, BYU never really got comfortable and USU made it at least competitive. Being tied at the half was very surprising. I'll take a win any day, but I think this game showed at least the following 3 critical issues.

1. In-game adjustments. Each of USU, Wyoming, and Oregon came at us with a scheme outside of what we planned for. We have been slow to adjust to stop the run. It was sad to see USU put up over 200 yards on the ground against us. With Notre Dame having a bye week to prep their scheme, I am worried that we will be out-schemed, and not able to adjust.

2. Slow starts. For the next 2 games, we will be able to tell a lot by how we start. Having a similar 1st half like we saw against USU, but now with ND or Arkansas...that won't end well. If we start slow in Vegas, the next question is how quickly can we adjust. My vote for ND prep would be to dial up a run happy 1st quarter. Just making it out of the first quarter not in a deficit would do wonders.

3. Penalties. There are some really dumb penalties that we have got to clean up. In our 5 games to this point, we have had the following # of penalties per game : 10, 11, 8, 8, and 4. USF was by far our cleanest game. I understand that getting personal fouls against USU won't exactly matter to this game's outcome, but it certainly will over the next 2 weeks. Must play cleaner and more disciplined. I don't like giving a first down with an offsides on the defense.

***If we want to make it past Notre Dame and Arkansas and enter national conversation for NY6 bowl, then we MUST address (at least) these 3 issues***

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

I think everyone knows how I feel about this loss...I mean win over Utah State. Here are my thoughts on the game:

*We are a team of two halves, both offensively and defensively, especially the running game on both sides of the ball. This has to be changed or we are going to have 3 more losses this season. I mean it's great that we're making half time adjustments, but it's horrible that we can't figure out what to do until HT. Are the teams really throwing such different looks at us while at the same time we are not throwing out different looks in the first half? We have to find a way to start faster and stronger.

*The defense got 2 turn overs including a pick six so praise is due where it's earned. But it's like this defense is built on a prevent scheme just waiting for the offense to make a mistake. But if the offense doesn't make a mistake then this defense just sucks bad. Utah State scored 7 points against Weber State at home! And they had a backup QB against us!

*Defensive penalties this game just drove me nuts! 3 defensive offsides in the first quarter. Throwing a shoe? Come on! Max probably should have been out of the game with targeting, but it strangely wasn't even reviewed. Both the Utah St. and BYU player's that were ejected were both a bit weak. The offensive player lowered their head in both cases. And the "violent hit" or whatever they called it when Utah St.'s QB got his leg's taken out, WTH is the defender supposed to do? You can't hit high. You can't hit low. The commentators were flabbergasted as well (one of them had been a safety).

*I know I said that Davis should not immediately be the RB1, but not inserting him into the game until like 6 minutes left in the second quarter? Come on! Then Katoa fumbles and even though we recover it we go right back to him? Brooks finally showed something in the 4th. But as long as Davis is healthy I like what I'm seeing from him the most.

*The offense put up 31 points, but that's less than any of Utah St's opponents except UConn. Pass on 2nd and 1. Run on 3rd and 9. ARod can be brilliant at times, but just so bewildering at other times. The offense can be explosive, but I think we also had like 3 straight 3 and outs. And this was probably the HC's decision, but that onside kick, really? Are we going to go for it on 4th and 19 again?

*Hall is carrying this team. And the receivers are stepping up too. If Hall get's injured I'm seriously scared that we might not win another game.

*We get almost a week and a half for ND. But we really need a bye week right now I feel like. But we don't get one until after Boise St. Hopefully we're practicing through General Conference on Saturday.

*Panic button time. Our defensive coaching needs to be upgraded. Part of me says that we're winning and that Tuiaki doesn't exactly deserve to be fired. He's doing just enough to keep the boat floating. But I really wish that he'd take a job somewhere else so that we'd have a good excuse to find a new DC. I never understood Bronco's fascination with Howell as DC. I at least understand that Tuikai is Sitake's cousin. What's the saying about doing business with family? I like Sitake. But I really feel like as we move into the Big12 that we're going to have to upgrade our coaching staff...

Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Sammich »

I totally get the people who are down on BYU after that game. And there are some very fixable mistakes. But I think there are three things worth looking at:

-Legas was solid and BYU wasn't prepared for him. Yes he threw a couple picks, but after watching him wriggle out of situation after situation of BYU playing pretty good defense and seeing what he did in their bowl game last year, I was left wondering why USU stuck with Bonner for so long.

-We knew going into the game that their running back is good, which usually means that their O-line is good at run blocking.

-This is a USU team that hasn't played together well yet, but they went 11-3 last year. Their defense is statistically much better than their W/L record shows.

BYU still beat them handily after working out some kinks.
With that said, I am not certain that BYU deserves to be ranked so high after watching their defense struggle with team after team. A great quarterback can only do so much.