Utah State

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Utah State

Post by BoiseBYU »

As some have said, a win is a win, but.......

My first takeaway: the coaches get a fail. There were stupid stupid penalties--Batty slamming the guy's head into the ground repeatedly, Tooley throwing the runner's shoe, offsides that gave USU first downs. I get that in playing some penalties will happen, but unsportsmanship and key offsides are on coaches. You CAN coach that. Those things simply do not happen with well-coached teams.

Jaren is a treasure. He doesn't make mistakes and makes others play and look better.

For the first time this season I thought Roderick had some really bad if not questionable play calls....Running on 3 and 9?

OLine continues to disappoint. The run game finally got going in the second half but -24 yards at halftime? Good grief.

The kicking game is a cluster. I feel bad for Oldroyd--he seems like a great person who is doing all he can. But if you can't make 30 yard field goals, well, in some games THAT will matter.

Defense also baffles me. We were owned in the first Q. The pick six was huge and credit where credit is due. But an unremarkable USU team owned the line of scrimmage for the good part of the first half. How can that be?

Respect to USU. They came to play and played hard. I will take the win, but if we play like that against ND or Arkansas, it will be ugly.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Utah State

Post by ABYUFAN »

I was able to watch three quarters of the game last night and I have to say that that was the most unsatisfying win that I've watched in a long time.

I hope that the coaches are holding things back from being on film before ND and Arkansas, but after Wyoming and now Utah State I have to say that I'm not expecting an awful lot out of this team.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

An update to my post: from different angles it looks like Batty was pushing the guy’s helmet down because the lineman was twisting Batty’s leg and Batty was trying to get the guy to stop. In that regard, totally understandable. Unfortunate the ref overlooked that.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

https://www.si.com/college/byu/football ... utah-state

1. Micah Harper - 86.2

2. Harris LaChance - 80.3

3. Kody Epps - 76.7

4. Ethan Erickson - 76.7

5. Christopher Brooks - 76.0

6. Gabe Jeudy-Lally - 74.6

7. Ethan Slade - 74.4

8. Jakob Robinson - 74.0

9. Blake Freeland - 73.6

10. Tyler Batty - 72.9

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

How did Tooley not get on there with his pick six? And I thought that Nelson had multiple TFLs in the game. Also, surprising to see us move up the rankings. Some voters clearly did not watch the game!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

There's a new YouTube channel that I found called RiseAndShout where he will do some film analysis. Very amateurish, but hey check it out.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins