Worst defense since?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Worst defense since?

Post by Sammich »

I've only religiously watched BYU football since late 1999, but the defensive team and scheme currently fielded has to be the worst defense I've seen at BYU. And I've seen some bad ones. What's the last worst defense you've seen at BYU? How does this current team compare?

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Worst defense since?

Post by byufan4ever »

Yeah I started watching about the same time as you. This is the worst that I've seen. My only comment from here on out is fire Tuiaki. And fire Sitake if he won't fire Tuiaki. Whatever needs to be done to get him gone.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
jadesroom
Freshman

Post by jadesroom »

There have been several bad defenses, but we had an offense that would outscore what the defense gave up.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

The Maginot Line?

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

I wonder what a Bronco Mendenhall defense would do? It all starts with the defensive line, and they have been pushed around virtually every game this year. They were up to the task in the Baylor game, but since then it has been a completely different story We never never never can put consistent pressure on the quarterback. Liberty proved that if you give even a fourth stringer enough time, he will find somebody open and get the ball to them The safety play has been horrible, particularly after we lost Malik for the season. I thought corners would be a strength, but they have been beat quite often. Taking bad angles, filling the wrong gaps, open field tackling ( or lack thereof), vanilla defense calling are just a few problems that I have noted. Liberty blitzed their safety multiple times. In other games, the other team blitzed the corner on occasion. I don’t think that has happened once this year for our defense. Something has to be done to get pressure on the quarterback.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

I am thinking this defense might perform better if they just run around randomly grabbing whatever offensive player happens to be nearby. It might give us a few offensive holding penalties, but I think our yards per play given up would still go down.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

And despite how bad this defense has been it has to be noted how bad the offense has been of late. The defense I feel has been bad for years and this season particularly there have been signs even since the Baylor win. I honestly think that the defensive players and coaching staff have hit their ceiling and just aren't going to get better until there's wholesale changes made. The offense though? They have talent and potential. What is going on with the offense? Why is Hall being played if he's injured? And what the he$$ happened to our OL? This is some of the worst run blocking that I have ever seen. Our OL (some of whom have NFL potential) are being pushed around by guys much smaller than them.

Oh, one last comment. What is up with our hockey style defensive substitutions? It's embarrassing and the TV commentators are laughing about it. That look and strategy is a snapshot of this season. Just embarrassingly bad.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

byufan4ever wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:32 am And despite how bad this defense has been it has to be noted how bad the offense has been of late. The defense I feel has been bad for years and this season particularly there have been signs even since the Baylor win. I honestly think that the defensive players and coaching staff have hit their ceiling and just aren't going to get better until there's wholesale changes made. The offense though? They have talent and potential. What is going on with the offense? Why is Hall being played if he's injured? And what the he$$ happened to our OL? This is some of the worst run blocking that I have ever seen. Our OL (some of whom have NFL potential) are being pushed around by guys much smaller than them.

Oh, one last comment. What is up with our hockey style defensive substitutions? It's embarrassing and the TV commentators are laughing about it. That look and strategy is a snapshot of this season. Just embarrassingly bad.
This is the comment that haunted me during the second half against ECU. What is up with our offense? Defense (mostly) came to play. It really feels like the offense lost this game.