How We Feeling?

BYU Cougars on the court.
GAKunkel
Recruit

How We Feeling?

Post by GAKunkel »

Well…it’s pretty quite over here. I assume that’s because we’re all underwhelmed by the team this year. Already looking like it will be a long season. I don’t think we go dancing and we will be lucky to make the NIT.

I like that we beat Creighton, but overall I’m pretty unimpressed with Pope. This team is chaotic, has no shooters, and turns the ball over like they cooking flap jacks.

Sadly, I don’t see Holmoe letting Pope go and given his win record I don’t see a bigger school snatching up Pope.

Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: How We Feeling?

Post by Sammich »

I really like Pope, but I lost all interest in his basketball team last year when he lost to UVU, and this year looks to be worse than last. I know that bad losses happen, but this appears to be more of a trend than an every-once-in-a-while sort of thing.

jadesroom
Freshman

Post by jadesroom »

He gambled with the transfer portal and lost. That said, every year will be a gamble because every year at least half the team will leave via graduation or transfer portal.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

If 3+ players are leaving in the transfer portal each season then I'm gonna say that bringing in quality players via the portal is as important as recruiting high school kids or even more important. Why spend so much time recruiting a HS kid who may not even stick around 2 years? Pope has got to get the transfer portal figured out. It's not just affecting BYU and some schools are adapting just fine to having 4+ new players on the roster this season. It can't be an excuse anymore. Time to adapt.

I'm going to the Utah game. Ask me how I feel again after that game. Beating them will somewhat take the sting out of not making the tournament. But, I'm a tournament or bust kind of guy. Two or three straight years of not making the tournament don't sit well with me.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

Sammich wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:38 am I really like Pope, but I lost all interest in his basketball team last year when he lost to UVU, and this year looks to be worse than last. I know that bad losses happen, but this appears to be more of a trend than an every-once-in-a-while sort of thing.
Same. Such a cool guy. Want him to succeed, but losing to UVU? Eeesh.

His teams have all been hot and cold. The one exception was his first year when he had mostly Dave Rose’s players and all upperclassmen.

jadesroom
Freshman

Post by jadesroom »

[/quote]

Same. Such a cool guy. Want him to succeed, but losing to UVU? Eeesh.

His teams have all been hot and cold. The one exception was his first year when he had mostly Dave Rose’s players and all upperclassmen.
[/quote]

I'm actually looking forward to next year...provided we get some solid guys via the transfer portal.

Insofar as this year, I'll judge the preseason by Saturday's game. If we beat Utah, I'll figure that we have turned the corner. If we get blown out, it'll be back to this is not a good team and that'll pretty much be the sentiment for the rest of the year.

GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

That’s fair.

If we don’t beat Utah, Pope’s seat better start feeling warm because it won’t be easier in the Big 12.

jadesroom
Freshman

Post by jadesroom »

I'm feeling pretty good.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

Pope started out very well but seems to have slipped.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Maybe the team has turned the corner. the freshmen are getting experience. Williams coming on the bench has been pivotel.