2022/2033 Mid Season Analysis

BYU Cougars on the court.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

2022/2033 Mid Season Analysis

Post by byufan4ever »

I meant to do this before conference play started, but I was out of town. BYU is currently #108 with a 9-5 record against Div 1 teams. IMO a team generally needs to be top 35 to be safe to get an at-large bid. The below picture shows our current resume.
BYU NET Team Sheet 2022-12-31.PNG
Another way to think of our quad wins/loss is:
Basketball Quads.PNG
Basketball Quads.PNG (77.46 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
That gets us a total of 5 points. For comparison Saint Mary's has 14 points and Utah has 8 points. Our SOS so far is #176. Last year this time it was #122 so it was stronger last year and BYU had gone 10-3 with no losses outside of a Q2.

Ok, on to the individual stats and performances.
BYU Mid Season Analysis.PNG
No surprise really that Traore has been our best player. His FG% is almost at 60% which is really impressive considering he's usually going up against much taller players. And he has really improved his FT% which is at 78%.

George, Williams, and Johnson have all been very solid contributors. George has been a little more consistent, but not very explosive. Williams has calmed down and is playing very well off the bench. Johnson is solid and I'd like to see him take Robinson's starting place with Waterman continuing to start.

Hall is doing really well with his assists to TO ratio, but he needs to improve his shooting. I think/hope that will come with time. He has a gritty/tough play to him that reminds me of Ainge. Waterman has improved his rebounding and defensive play and I think he has to start due to his height. If he can score from more than the 3 point line then he will be dangerous. Saunders has shown flashes of being good, but is just to inconsistent right now.

Robinson needs to be benched. 105 3 point attempts and is only making 33% of them. He has to be smarter with his shot selection. If he's hot then let it reign. But if not please stop shooting. Atiki should have a much higher FG% considering where he's shooting from. He hasn't really progressed from last season and he can't stay out of foul trouble in his limited minutes. Trey Stewart has been very disappointing. He can't score at all even with his very good athleticism. His assists + steals to TOs is very nice, but he just doesn't look like belongs on the court with everyone else.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
GAKunkel
Recruit

Re: 2022/2033 Mid Season Analysis

Post by GAKunkel »

Great analysis. Thank you for putting it together as I know it takes a lot of work.

We had our chances to get some wins against solid teams. I think given how many new players are on this squad it’s taken them time to gel. Problem is if we keep losing 3 - 4 players each year to transferring in addition to those that graduate, a lack of team chemistry may become the norm.

We can’t afford to drop more than 3 more games. Our schedule is so weak and we dug ourselves in such a big hole that if we want to go dancing we pretty much can’t drop anymore games.

jadesroom
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by jadesroom »

Our only chance for the NCAA is to win the WCC tournament; something we've never done.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

GAKunkel wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:44 pm Great analysis. Thank you for putting it together as I know it takes a lot of work.

We had our chances to get some wins against solid teams. I think given how many new players are on this squad it’s taken them time to gel. Problem is if we keep losing 3 - 4 players each year to transferring in addition to those that graduate, a lack of team chemistry may become the norm.

We can’t afford to drop more than 3 more games. Our schedule is so weak and we dug ourselves in such a big hole that if we want to go dancing we pretty much can’t drop anymore games.
I watch a fair amount of college basketball. Virtually every team is bringing in 3-4 new players via the transfer portal. If other teams can figure out the chemistry early on then so can we. BYU is far from the only school losing and gaining multiple players every season. I'm sorry, but it just can't be an excuse anymore. Love or hate the transfer portal, coaches have to adapt to it.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

jadesroom wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:38 pm Our only chance for the NCAA is to win the WCC tournament; something we've never done.
We can’t beat LMU. Pray for a miracle in March, folks, otherwise we’ll be lucky to go to the NIT.