Mark Pope on the Hot Seat

BYU Cougars on the court.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Mark Pope on the Hot Seat

Post by byufan4ever »

There's an article from bustingbrackets.com titled "NCAA Basketball: 10 coaches that may get fired or leave after 2022-23." I'm not going to link to the article because it's a slideshow and I hate those. But a legend on Reddit put the list out there:

Travis Ford (Saint Louis)
Mark Adams (Texas Tech)
Wayne Tinke (Oregon State)
Mike Hopkins (Washington)
Isaac Brown (Wichita State)
Mark Pope (BYU)
John Calipari (Kentucky)
Bobby Hurley (Arizona State)
Juwan Howard (Michigan)
Chris Holtmann (Ohio State)

I realize anyone can put a list out on the Internet and I'm not sure how credible bustingbrackets.com is. But people outside of BYU are starting to notice BYU basketball and not in a good way. I know there's always the question of who will replace him, but his seat has to be at least warm if not hot.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
jadesroom
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Mark Pope on the Hot Seat

Post by jadesroom »

As he should be. This season has been a disaster. Problems that were evident in preseason have not been corrected 30 games later. The team can no longer use the young and experience excuse.

Steve Pierce, one of the Internet gurus of BYU basketball (meaning he follows the team a lot closer than I) speculated a few weeks ago that Pope might leave after this season. I find that hard to believe. I also think Pope gets two years in the Big 12 before he is dismissed if things don't turn around.

GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

If Pope is smart he will find another gig because the Big12 isn’t going to be any easier.

I suspect we’ll see another round transfers at the end of season. Problem is since BYU is downtrending top transfers and recruits likely won’t buy what Pope is selling, meaning we likely won’t get an upgrade in talent.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

If he goes would Mark Madsen consider coming?