Can Kaveinga play in 2010?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Can Kaveinga play in 2010?

Post by Lawboy »

Just announced that USC juniors and seniors can transfer without penalty and play in 2010. Schools can petition for kids to get a waiver for kids who started at USC and are now in their junior year. This could be HUGE!

Also, schools can actually initiate contact with USC players to lure them away.

"The second school would have to submit a waiver asking to waive the year in residence, but NCAA rules allow for this waiver to be granted if a student-athlete's first school has a postseason ban in their sport," NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said in an e-mail to ESPN's Joe Schad.

The rule does not apply to freshman who have signed national letters of intent, however. But schools with an interest in a USC junior or senior are allowed to initiate contact with the player, Osburn said.

USC is dead in the water if they lose some top guys. This will kill them more than anything else, potentially.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/n ... id=5275644

CougarPeasant
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Can Kaveinga play in 2010?

Post by CougarPeasant »

Isn't he going on a mission? So it's moot if he is. (Last I heard is his papers are in.)

However, Havili could transfer and that would solve our losing Unga instantly.

There's another LDS player BYU recruited and lost out on who's a back up on the Dline, he could transfer and probably earn playing time as well.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Wowzi!!! This is really big. This will cut the legs right out from under USC for years to come. I hope this NCAA rule allows Keveinga to play. They may say - "No, he transferred before the penalties were imposed." I hope that's not the case!!!!
8)

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

CougarPeasant wrote:Isn't he going on a mission? So it's moot if he is. (Last I heard is his papers are in.)

There's another LDS player BYU recruited and lost out on who's a back up on the Dline, he could transfer and probably earn playing time as well.
If Kaveinga was able to play, I suspect the mission might wait. Who knows though. We defintely need a MLB, that is certain. He and Stout would rock the interior together.

CougarPeasant
All-American

Post by CougarPeasant »

Lawboy wrote:
CougarPeasant wrote:Isn't he going on a mission? So it's moot if he is. (Last I heard is his papers are in.)

If Kaveinga was able to play, I suspect the mission might wait. Who knows though. We defintely need a MLB, that is certain. He and Stout would rock the interior together.
Agreed 100%, we'd be solid gold. Yet, I suspect he will still go, though I have no personal knowledge to base that on. He left USC with the intention of serving a mission, so I see it hard for him to change his mind at this time.

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

Kaveinga didn't transfer to BYU solely for PT purposes. And it would look really bad if he decided to cancel his mission now (papers are already in) for football reasons. As I recall, Sisters can quit their mission anytime they want and do so honorably. But Elders have to have some serious medical or psychological reasoning for cutting their mission short. I'm not sure when that timeline starts... is it once the mission papers are in or is it once they enter the MTC? I don't know.

No, Kavienga isn't going to change his mind. But we still have ties to Christian Tupou (Jr) and Stanley Havili (Sr). Tupou would be well served by transferring out. He has to sit out a year anyway due to a gimp knee. I'm guessing most of the Jr's and Sr's are going to be jumping ship, so even if he did stick around, he'd likely be playing for a sub .500 team with no postseason potential. Good luck getting noticed by the NFL then. Havili might feel like it would be a little too late to jump ship now but given the news about Harvey, he could come in right away and make a big splash at BYU. Not only would he go a long way to making Heaps for a lot more comfortable, but he would finally get to tote the rock for a change too. It's mutually beneficial!

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

As I recall, BYU had a player defer his mission for a while so he could play in 2009, so it is not unheard or, or unhonorable. And the player is in the field now--Russell Tialavea. So it is possible.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

He wants to play in the NFL someday. The time to serve is now. Actually he needs to leave now if he has not left yet.

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

Lawboy wrote:As I recall, BYU had a player defer his mission for a while so he could play in 2009, so it is not unheard or, or unhonorable. And the player is in the field now--Russell Tialavea. So it is possible.
Russell Tialevea delayed because he sent his papers in and as I recall, the church took quite a while to process them so while he was expecting to be gone before the season started (so that he would at least have one year of eligibility left when he returned), his MTC entrance date wasn't until late November. So the church pushed it back a month so he could at least play and not lose his final year of eligibility.

I think there was some weight issues too which is why the church may have taken so long to process. They aren't letting anybody over 300 lbs go out anymore. That's why Russ played so much leaner his senior year.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Lawboy wrote:

I don't know about that. The big reason behind his transfer was that Carroll wasn't going to hold his schollie if he went on a mission. I don't think this changes any mission plans.