Quarterback Question

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Quarterback Question

Post by SpiffCoug »

Mars wrote:
kitic77 wrote: Munns returns in June. There is no way Munns comes in June and wins the job. He won't have a spring ball and will still be adjusting to life at home before coming to Provo.
I don't see why not, with no entrenched returning starter. 4 QBs, 0 starts at BYU.

I really don't see Bronco naming a starter coming out of spring ball. It wouldn't make sense. But that's just me.
Point 1, there may not be an entrenched starter, but there will be TWO QBs who will have a spring ball that Munns won't. One of whom will also have an entire season as the backup QB who saw substantial playing time for a backup.

In 2005, I went to probably 15 of the 20 spring practices (working for TBS at the time). I saw little difference between Beck and Berry. I was very surprised that Bronco came out and named Beck the starter. That's why I think he'll name a starter. I think it does make sense from the standpoint of letting a QB become the man, the team leader, etc.

I am really high on Munns. I remember watching him practice before the 2007 season. I thought he looked great. He was big, strong, mobile and more than sufficiently accurate. I think he would make a great QB at BYU. Unfortunately, I think his timing is going to hinder his ability to to so.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

kitic77 wrote: there may not be an entrenched starter, but there will be TWO QBs who will have a spring ball that Munns won't. One of whom will also have an entire season as the backup QB who saw substantial playing time for a backup.
Substantial playing time, yes. Substantial THROWING time, NO! :whistle:

Maybe Munns should pull a Cummard? :P

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Mars wrote:
kitic77 wrote: there may not be an entrenched starter, but there will be TWO QBs who will have a spring ball that Munns won't. One of whom will also have an entire season as the backup QB who saw substantial playing time for a backup.

LOL! Good point. I would love to see Munns compete. I just wish he got back sooner. Makes me wonder why left so late. Didn't get his papers in on time? Too young?

(8.4x
..................ATT
CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

kitic77 wrote:
Mars wrote:

LOL! Good point. I would love to see Munns compete. I just wish he got back sooner. Makes me wonder why left so late. Didn't get his papers in on time? Too young?
too wicked?...

CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

snap!

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

I am more concerned with what BYU will do with all the incoming talent on D than on O. Will they play or redshirt? I know Van Noy will play and a mission is not in his future, so he has 4 years. What about the other guys? I know Keoshian and Stout are not LDS, so no missions either. Bronco does not play freshman too often, so will he sit those guys then teeam them up in 2011 if they earn it? because it is the D side of the ball BYU needs to improve on. If they do, we become very good.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Just going off the top of my head, but Bronco has played multiple freshman. McKay Jacobson, Harvey Unga, Matt Reynolds, Matangi Tonga, Romney Fuga, Ethan Manumaleuna, Iona Pritchard, Jan Jorgensen (may not have been a true freshman) and even Craig Bills this year. If a freshman can come in and show they can play, I think we'll see them on the field.

(8.4x
..................ATT
Cougy_Monster
Sophomore

Post by Cougy_Monster »

kitic77 wrote:Just going off the top of my head, but Bronco has played multiple freshman. McKay Jacobson, Harvey Unga, Matt Reynolds, Matangi Tonga, Romney Fuga, Ethan Manumaleuna, Iona Pritchard, Jan Jorgensen (may not have been a true freshman) and even Craig Bills this year. If a freshman can come in and show they can play, I think we'll see them on the field.

Did Lavell ever play freshman? I can't really remember any impact freshman back in the day.

I love when a coach looks past all the barriers and puts the talent on the field.

CAFB_04-12
All-American

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

Detmer played as a freshman, but I think that was out of necessity, not impact.

Cougy_Monster
Sophomore

Post by Cougy_Monster »

CAFB_04-12 wrote:Detmer played as a freshman, but I think that was out of necessity, not impact.
Yeah, he took over for Sean Covey a couple times toward the end of the season and in the Freedom Bowl. But, what I wonder is whether Lavell could see Detmer's talent in fall camp but had Covey as the starter until the end of the season just because he was older. It seems like Bronco wouldn't shy away from starting Heaps as a true freshman if he really thought Heaps was the best, with the best work ethic (just stating a hypothetical...I don't know the QBs' work ethics).

I had some friends on the team back then and they all said that Lavell had a system of progression through the depth chart through the years so that freshmen or sophomores rarely started and sometimes not-so-talented seniors got all the playing time.

Granted, that was the opinion of underclassmen, so maybe that was just a skewed perspective.