Where BYU football is headed

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
pwride-Imposter

Where BYU football is headed

Post by pwride-Imposter »

In my estimation of things the BYU football team has peaked. Bronco has done a great job of getting us this far this quickly, and it is hard to argue with his win-loss record. But I think we all need to admit that the last three years will be as good as it gets. And I am not complaining. A moderately good football team is all I have ever hoped for. BYU led by Bronco just doesn’t have the intense killer instinct, the predatory eye of the tiger, needed to be an elite team. After watching the TCU game again, I am led to believe under those white and blue helmets they don there is nothing more than the dull and languid stare of a washed-up, worn-out dairy cow, which has been set out to pasture. But like I said I am not complaining: life should not be lived too intensely and games are just games. :D

Sammich
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Where BYU football is headed

Post by Sammich »

I don't think this kind of judgement can be made yet. There are still other factors that affect that killer instinct, including the team leadership, which we know Bronco gives a lot of responsibility in driving the team forward. If next year or the year after that, under different leadership, you still see the same thing, then I will accept that it's more likely a result of Bronco's coaching.

pwride-Imposter

Sammich wrote:I don't think this kind of judgement can be made yet. There are still other factors that affect that killer instinct, including the team leadership, which we know Bronco gives a lot of responsibility in driving the team forward. If next year or the year after that, under different leadership, you still see the same thing, then I will accept that it's more likely a result of Bronco's coaching.
Yes, you could be right. It's just a gut feeling of mine. You are obviously taking a very careful and level-headed approach.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

If you look at the success that Bronco has had with Crowton's leftovers and then consider all the talent we have coming in, I'd say that Bronco is just getting started. Remember that Bronco is a young head coach and he learns and grows a lot every year. Personally, I think BYU football is headed in a great direction.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
49erCoug
BLUEshirt

Post by 49erCoug »

pwride wrote:
Sammich wrote:I don't think this kind of judgement can be made yet. There are still other factors that affect that killer instinct, including the team leadership, which we know Bronco gives a lot of responsibility in driving the team forward. If next year or the year after that, under different leadership, you still see the same thing, then I will accept that it's more likely a result of Bronco's coaching.
Yes, you could be right. It's just a gut feeling of mine. You are obviously taking a very careful and level-headed approach.
Wait.. you guys disagree.. shouldn't you be shouting with all caps and calling each other names for having differing opinions? :lol:

mcgregor
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: Cougar Law

Post by mcgregor »

I agree in part, and politely dissent in part.

I agree that, to a point, improvements here on out will likely be marginal, if any at all are due. The primary cause is that 10 wins is still 10 wins. What we're really talking about is if Bronco can ever consistently beat superior teams. I side with Sammich on this one in that it's simply too early to tell.

Bronco may have tabled off. As you will note in my other posts, I think there are some adjustments to be made, which can be summed up to (a) staff changes, and (b) leadership changes. Part (b) will be taken care of largely by graduating this year's seniors. Part (a) is where I wonder.

As far as killer instinct, I'm not sure it's completely lost. I agree that something is missing from the team's game-time sidelines. But I'm also sure that Mendenhall gets pretty excited at practices. So excited that he probably drops some colorful language. So judging the team's character based off 3 hours on a Saturday is incomplete.

Sorry, I'm having a hard time spitting out what I want to say. Basically, I'm going to go ahead and expect outcome changes over the course of the next 2 seasons. But I've certainly been wrong before (particularly this season).

49erCoug
BLUEshirt

Post by 49erCoug »

pwride wrote:In my estimation of things the BYU football team has peaked. Bronco has done a great job of getting us this far this quickly, and it is hard to argue with his win-loss record. But I think we all need to admit that the last three years will be as good as it gets. And I am not complaining. A moderately good football team is all I have ever hoped for. BYU led by Bronco just doesn’t have the intense killer instinct, the predatory eye of the tiger, needed to be an elite team. After watching the TCU game again, I am led to believe under those white and blue helmets they don there is nothing more than the dull and languid stare of a washed-up, worn-out dairy cow, which has been set out to pasture. But like I said I am not complaining: life should not be lived too intensely and games are just games. :D
Peter I don't know if you listen to David Locke at all.. but he said something very similar to this a couple weeks ago... It kinda shocked me when I said.. and made me a little upset.. but now I am not so sure he wasn't right.. I don't want him (and you) to be right.. I guess I will take the wait and see approach..

wazzucoug97
Recruit

Post by wazzucoug97 »

Beck to Harline. Just 3 years ago. Maybe not the "killer" instinct, but the will to play until the last play. You could say the same about 4th and 18, the next year. I think leadership and player(s) stepping up, taking the team on his/their back and gutting out a win is something that can change each year.... different players, different chemistry.

Also, don't forget this is year one of the Hill calling D and Anae up in the box transition. Both of these could be having an affect on game day.

GO COUGARS!!!
pwride-Imposter

wazzucoug97 wrote:Beck to Harline. Just 3 years ago. Maybe not the "killer" instinct, but the will to play until the last play. You could say the same about 4th and 18, the next year. I think leadership and player(s) stepping up, taking the team on his/their back and gutting out a win is something that can change each year.... different players, different chemistry.

Also, don't forget this is year one of the Hill calling D and Anae up in the box transition. Both of these could be having an affect on game day.
Yes, great moments. But I think they demonstrate more of a survival instinct. When was the last time we pounced on a quality team at the beginning of a game and positioned ourselves to make a lethal blow? Like in the TCU, after starting the game with a three-and-out and forcing TCU to punt, that is an oppurtunity to gain momentum and dictate the game. I think if in the first drive of the game we score a touchdown, the entire complextion of the game changes. It is at moments like these when all the talk about execution needs to materialize. If it did materiralize, maybe we win. Maybe we win handlely, and when there are two minutes left in the fourth quartar, late game heroics are not needed, as they were in those Utah games.

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

pwride wrote:In my estimation of things the BYU football team has peaked. Bronco has done a great job of getting us this far this quickly, and it is hard to argue with his win-loss record. But I think we all need to admit that the last three years will be as good as it gets. And I am not complaining. A moderately good football team is all I have ever hoped for. BYU led by Bronco just doesn’t have the intense killer instinct, the predatory eye of the tiger, needed to be an elite team. After watching the TCU game again, I am led to believe under those white and blue helmets they don there is nothing more than the dull and languid stare of a washed-up, worn-out dairy cow, which has been set out to pasture. But like I said I am not complaining: life should not be lived too intensely and games are just games. :D
We beat one really good team this year; and lost to one really good team this year and lost to a pretty crappy team this year and beat several pretty crappy teams. I do not think we can conclude that the program has peaked....With missions and all the experience players are not mostly Bronco recruits are they? Let Bronco's recruits show themselves first. Let a smart man right the ship....If you had told me four years ago we would have had three straight 10 win seasons I would have shouted for joy. Oh how success makes one want and expect more! The recruits showing up in Provo are truly exciting. It's not to say that all is well...Things need to happen, but let's wait and see with optimism