Honor Sarkisian?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Florwood
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Honor Sarkisian?

Post by Florwood »

The DNews reported that Fresno State honored Brian Santiago, our Assistant AD, for his years as a bball player there:

"BYU assistant athletic director Brian Santiago, who played for Fresno State from 1992-94 and is the school's all-time leader in 3-point field goal percentage (45 percent), was honored during a first-half time-out."

Would it be crazy, inappropriate, stupid, or genius to honor Sarkisian during the home game with UW next year?

BerliNY
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Honor Sarkisian?

Post by BerliNY »

I like the idea. Very classy ;-)
Plus I really liked Sark.

Loyal Strong True
Wickchad
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Wickchad »

Do it after the game, but only if we win...

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

For what would the honor be? The ever popular 14th anniversary of the 1996 14-1 season? His single game completion percentage record? I think it's a good idea, we just have to find something that would be worth honoring him. Santiago was their all-time leader. Sark doesn't have any all-time marks.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

kitic77 wrote:For what would the honor be? The ever popular 14th anniversary of the 1996 14-1 season? His single game completion percentage record? I think it's a good idea, we just have to find something that would be worth honoring him. Santiago was their all-time leader. Sark doesn't have any all-time marks.
Most wins ever in a season by a BYU QB is the mark he has. And that is what it is all about, right? Regardless, some type of nod to his contribution to BYU lore would be nice, but I will not hold my breath. McMahon is still treated as if his years never happened.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Lawboy wrote:
kitic77 wrote:For what would the honor be? The ever popular 14th anniversary of the 1996 14-1 season? His single game completion percentage record? I think it's a good idea, we just have to find something that would be worth honoring him. Santiago was their all-time leader. Sark doesn't have any all-time marks.
Most wins ever in a season by a BYU QB is the mark he has. And that is what it is all about, right? Regardless, some type of nod to his contribution to BYU lore would be nice, but I will not hold my breath. McMahon is still treated as if his years never happened.
Supposedly because McMahon never graduated from BYU, but that relates to the BYU sports hall of fame. If they did recognize Sark, then it also would be fitting to likewise honor McMahon, even if you have rules that don't allow him in the HOF.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

BYU doesn't honor McMahon because McMahon doesn't want to be honored. He has attended some games in the last few years, but McMahon is basically a private guy that doesn't want the lime light. He's good friends with Holmoe, and Holmoe can't even convince him to take the 3 or 4 required courses (doesn't even have to be from BYU, just need them to be transferable) to complete his degree.

I wouldn't do anything over the top for Sark, but something is appropriate.

BerliNY
All-American

Post by BerliNY »

Give him a "contribution to BYU Football award" similar to the "contribution to NCAA football" award they gave to LaVell last week at the big awards show where Pitta the $haft. Obviously it's the thought that counts here.

Loyal Strong True
88Coug
Recruit

Post by 88Coug »

Sark was the leader of what many argue was the best season of BYU football ever. His legacy and post-playing career have been nothing put positive for BYU. I am all for having a short little bit of recognition for Sark before the game.

gmj81
Junior

Post by gmj81 »

EM_Puma wrote:
Lawboy wrote:
Supposedly because McMahon never graduated from BYU, but that relates to the BYU sports hall of fame. If they did recognize Sark, then it also would be fitting to likewise honor McMahon, even if you have rules that don't allow him in the HOF.
McMahon has already been honored at BYU games since his playing days here. The school will never back down though on the HOF thing. Call it an excuse to not "enshrine" the man who has been critical of the school ever since he left but I for one am glad they are not giving in on it. Being a "scholar-athelte" is still 50% of the formula, in fact, it's more. Not only is it not "athlete-scholar" but if you don't meet the minimum academic requirements, you don't play.

I would have no problem not honoring Collie if he never came back to finish his degree. All Jim has to do is finish the 9 credit hours he needs to finish up and then BYU would no longer have an excuse to hide behind. I think if he did that and showed just a tad bit of remorse over some of his remarks and actions over the years then they could get together and repair a lot of what happened in the past. He still loves his teammates and Coach Edwards and says he never learned more than he did at BYU, not even in the NFL. He also says he wouldn't do anything differently if he had to do it over again. It's a shame he hasn't been honored yet becuase he has done more for BYU football than almost any other individual save maybe Steve Young or Lavell himself. But he's the only one keeping it from happening. He even admitted to having his sister do the course work for him for those 9 credits and all he had to do was submit it and he still didn't do it. BYU is not to blame here. Nor were they back then. I've never liked the tattle-tell culture here at BYU but the bottom line is if you agree to the HC, man up and keep your integrity.