My coaching prediction

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

My coaching prediction

Post by SpiffCoug »

Head Coach: Ken Niumatalolo
Off Coord: Robert Anae
Def Coord: Kalani Sitake

I think Jason Beck and Mark Autuaia might be the only other offensives coach to stay. But I could see Holliday and Tujague staying since they were brought in by Aane 2.0.

I think Steve Kaufusi stays and Paul Tidwell as well. I don't think Nick Howell or Kelly Poppinga stick around.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
birdie702
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: My coaching prediction

Post by birdie702 »

I think it will be Kalani Sitake as HC. I love Coach Ken Niumatalolo but the system they run at Navy does not fit BYU's... I could be wrong.

Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

SpiffCoug wrote:Head Coach: Ken Niumatalolo

I think Jason Beck and Mark Autuaia might be the only other offensives coach to stay. But I could see Holliday and Tujague staying since they were brought in by Aane 2.0.

I think Steve Kaufusi stays and Paul Tidwell as well. I don't think Nick Howell or Kelly Poppinga stick around.
I would have no problem with this staff, but I would be very surprised to see both Niumatalolo and Sitake come on board. Whatever happens, I hope it happens sooner than later, and that it isn't Anae for the sake of convenience. If the powers to be believe that Anae is the best man for the job, then I am willing to be open minded and willing to see what he can do...at least until the first game ;)

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

Well, this staff would certainly get the all-important blessing of Vai Sikahema...

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I could live with what would be a serious Poly Pipeline, as Spiff indicates.
If ken could live with Anaes system, i suppose i could live with that. I think ANaes system is better than the wishbone. But the wishbione predates Ken N, so is Ken really a wishobne guy before Navy???
At any rate, free Bronco now.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

I think Mark Atuaia stays for sure, as well as Kaufusi and Tidwell. I see them as BYU guys, not necessarily Bronco guys. I think Beck stays as well. Though he has ties to Bronco, I think he really loves coaching Mangum. You can see his loyalty is to the Y and to the great kids he is coaching.

As for Anae, I think the only way he stays is as head coach. Otherwise, I think he goes with Bronco. Unfortunately, you know Bronco is going to take Weintrich with him, as well as Holliday, if Anae goes with him. TJ I would guess is up in the air, because he was really a LaVell guy. He may stay with BYU, and I hope he does.

This is all a mess and serious distraction in what would have set up as an awesome bowl opportunity...if everyone wasn't completely distracted.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

With the exception of Andy Reid, Ken N is head and shoulders above every other candidate as far as I'm concerned. With anyone else, it would feel like a huge downgrade. This (with the exception of Sitake) would make me a happy Cougar.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

This would be solid.

Niumatalolo's experience with the triple option would not be a hinderance; Dr. Anae would still be OC and run his offense. Niumatalolo's experience running a national program and recruiting at a unique institution would provide tremendous value. I think he would perform better as the spokesperson for BYU football than Bronco.

I'd love to see Chad Lewis and Ty Detmer as position coaches on the staff.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

As an after thought to my earlier post, if Jason Beck leaves with Bronco, John Beck would fill in nicely as a QB coach.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I would be happy with this with the exception of Sitake. I would rather have Nick Howell then him. Howell's 2014 defense was not as bad as Sitake's OSU defense this year. Bronco Mendenhall proved that a good defensive coordinator can field a good defense even when it is down on talent so I don't buy the argument that Sitake struggled this year because of talent. I think that his defenses were good at Utah because of kwhit and not because of him. If he were a good dcoordinator, his defense at OSU would have kept them competitive until the offense could come around. They were giving up 50 points per game this year to bad teams.