So Mitt Romney huh?

Feel free to discuss appropriate non-BYU/Sports related topics here. We ask you to respect other users, the Church, avoid soapbox postings, and keep it clean.
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

So Mitt Romney huh?

Post by jvquarterback »

I can't even imagine wanting to be involved in politics. Just makes me feel dirty thinking about it. I mean I'm involved but as long as I can find someone decent enough to run I would never even consider working for the government. It seems weird Mitt doesn't just back someone else.

Maybe I just dislike Mitt's politics and the carpet bagging, but I can think of plenty of things I'd rather do than be a senator. Uggh.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: So Mitt Romney huh?

Post by SpiffCoug »

He'll be a fine senator. Would have been a better president. He really should have skipped the 2012 race. He'd have beaten Hillary.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

The Nation is lucky to have him.

CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

hawkwing wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:16 pm The Nation is lucky to have him.
Fully agree. I live in the DC region and work a block and a half from the WH--though not for the government. Can't get away from politics out here, the same way we couldn't get away from Hollywood, aka "the industry" when we lived in Santa Monica.

I'll be curious to see how Romney does out here. He has deep pockets and lots of connections. He's clearly not your fun-of-the-mill freshman senator. I've only ever lived in Utah when I went to BYU, but the state lost a solid champion in Orrin Hatch--his committee work was very influential in ways that would never make national news. It's usually tough for a state to lose such a senior lawmaker. But I don't believe Utah won't be losing much with Romney.

As for his motives, I actually believe him when he says that he wants to do it out of a sense of civic duty. It's a real thing, and it runs deep in his family. And being a former stake president, I think he may understand the breadth of the human experience more than other people born into his privileged position not that he didn't also work hard, but he certainly started several rungs up the ladder).

There are some things I don't like about him, but having lived in Massachusetts when he was elected and then when he was governor, I was impressed.

I don't think he has the same moral backbone as Jeff Flake, but I do think he can be a useful counterpoint for decency against the current administration, while still promoting innovative policy around conservative values.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Not a big fan of him. We could probably do worse, but he does nothing to excite me.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

byufan4ever wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:26 pm Not a big fan of him. We could probably do worse, but he does nothing to excite me.
But Tim Aalders did?

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

SpiffCoug wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:52 pm
byufan4ever wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:26 pm Not a big fan of him. We could probably do worse, but he does nothing to excite me.
But Tim Aalders did?
Did I ever say Tim Aalders excited me? I said he was gaining some traction with some of my FB friends and I asked what people here thought of him.

Never. Said. That.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
screamineagle2
Recruit

Post by screamineagle2 »

Mitt Romney is a good man. I will happily support him and hope he can do a little good where he will be serving.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

So nobody's upset to be "represented" by a carpet bagger?

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

jvquarterback wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:38 am So nobody's upset to be "represented" by a carpet bagger?
Nope.