Fair Weather Fans

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Fair Weather Fans

Post by byufan4ever »

I've seen numerous BYU "fans" here and on FB say they are done with BYU football and will not be watching next season. Sorry, but is that not the definition of a fair weather fan?

I've done my fair share of complaining on here but I absolutely will be cheering on my Cougs every chance I get next season. I got a BYU flag for Christmas and you better believe that I will fly it proudly on game days!

Of course it's more fun to be a fan when your team is winning, but I would like to think that I would support my team regardless of record. Now, I do think the line in the sand for me is if BYU stops being BYU. If major HC violations or law breakers were getting off with no punishments then I would consider not watching that team until a major shakeup took place.

But win or lose I am here to cheer on my Cougs!

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Fair Weather Fans

Post by frdbtr »

I don't think of myself as a fair weather fan but it is getting really hard to watch the product that is being put on the field right now. I have been just as content to listen on KSL this year whereas in years past it would have killed me not to subscribe to ESPN to see the games. I will probably do the same thing next year too.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

We have season tickets, we will renew. We have BYU flags that we fly on game day, and we will continue to do so.

However, when the team is as schizophrenic as it has been the last few years, it makes it easier to sell those tickets to someone else and watch the game later that evening instead. I've spent a lot more time hunting and fishing the last two Falls, and I think I've enjoyed it a lot more than when I was over emphasizing BYU football.

Maybe that's being a fair weather fan, but my life has been better for it.

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

I will watch I will always watch but my hope's and expectations have been lowered. That doesn't make me a fair weathered fan it makes me someone who cares and can't stand to see the direction the program as a whole is headed. I'm disappointed and I don't see an end to the disappointment.

CougarCrazy
BLUEshirt

Post by CougarCrazy »

It’s entertainment. It hasn’t been as entertaining lately.

For me the feeling that BYU itself doesn’t care about winning makes me want to care less.

I’ll watch some games next year but I’m not going to arrange my weekend around it and I’m not sure how many games I’ll see.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

It' pretty easy to say you're done with BYU football after the bowl game. I bet most of those who claim they're done are back in Sept.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

snoscythe wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:28 am We have season tickets, we will renew. We have BYU flags that we fly on game day, and we will continue to do so.

However, when the team is as schizophrenic as it has been the last few years, it makes it easier to sell those tickets to someone else and watch the game later that evening instead. I've spent a lot more time hunting and fishing the last two Falls, and I think I've enjoyed it a lot more than when I was over emphasizing BYU football.

Maybe that's being a fair weather fan, but my life has been better for it.
Same. I plan to attend a game or 2 in Provo, and enjoy life otherwise. Usually don't watch games on TV, will watch the replay without commercials or even highlights afterwards. I wouldn't complain about byu winning 11-12 games, but this "losing" streak has provided a glimpse at another life.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

I didn't even watch the bowl game. Why put myself through the agony? After watching the SDSU game, I figured spending Christmas Eve watching the same ineptitude wasn't worth the cost.

If that makes me a fair-weather fan, so be it. I have no problem being labeled as such. It's my time. It's my money. I will choose how to spend it. I don't "owe" BYU a thing. And they don't "owe" me a thing either.

Football/sports are entertainment. If I am not entertained with the product on the field, why pay for it?

You may think that foolish or not being loyal, but I find spending time, money, and emotional energy on a product you will be disappointed with foolish.

Now, I do like me some basketball. I find the sport more entertaining than football. So, I'll be cheering my Cougs on there.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

SpiffCoug wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:18 am It' pretty easy to say you're done with BYU football after the bowl game. I bet most of those who claim they're done are back in Sept.
Very valid point.

Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

I’m in the same boat as many. First game live was vs Arizona State and Danny White in Provo. We came out from Michigan to visit an Aunt and Uncle who were in graduate school. Second game live was with another uncle while living with them in Denver. He took me to Fort Collins and it was Marc Wilson’s record breaking debut. I’m an ‘86 grad who was on campus for that magical ‘84 season. I’m not fair weather, nor blue goggled, but all blue coug. I’ll fly my flag on game day, drive down 3 hours from Idaho for a couple 2-3 games, try to take a road trip that includes a game, and I’ll watch live or recorded on TV. Probably will til the day I die. However, with all that said, I’m as close to a numb like apathy as I ever have been. I don’t like Independence. Don’t get me wrong, watching the Cougs best USC in person....priceless. However, to me, the season comes across as one long, meaningless, exhibition season. This current coaching staff drives me nuts with the lack of consistency, mind boggling decision making, etc. I love Kalani and want him and his staff to be successful, but I have a hard time seeing evidence that things will get better. Nonetheless, I’ll wear my Y gear with pride, hope for the best, expect to be disappointed, and always appreciate what an outstanding and special place BYU is and what it has provided for me in my life. I will never root against the fine young men and women student athletes who represent BYU. Go Cougs!