BYU Stanford Extend Series...

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU Stanford Extend Series...

Post by byufan4ever »

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... me-series/
So, with today’s announcement, below is a look at what is now an eight-game series between Stanford football and BYU:
•Nov. 28, 2020, at Stanford
•Nov. 26, 2022, at Stanford
•Sept. 13, 2025, at BYU
•Nov. 28, 2026, at Stanford*
•Nov. 25, 2028, at Stanford*
•Sept. 1, 2029, at BYU
•Aug. 30, 2031, at BYU*
•Sept. 1, 2035, at BYU*

(*Games added through today’s extension)
So will Stanford make it to BYU more than once? This very well could end up being a 4 for 1...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: BYU Stanford Extend Series...

Post by ABYUFAN »

byufan4ever wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:41 pm https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... me-series/
So, with today’s announcement, below is a look at what is now an eight-game series between Stanford football and BYU:
•Sept. 13, 2025, at BYU
•Sept. 1, 2029, at BYU
•Aug. 30, 2031, at BYU*
•Sept. 1, 2035, at BYU*

So will Stanford make it to BYU more than once? This very well could end up being a 4 for 1...
Have we seen anyone cancel their return trip to Provo yet? I cannot think of any. I don't think that the Stanford Athletic Dept has sooooo much cash laying around that they'll buy out three games.

coachK
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by coachK »

Hopefully Stanford is more honorable to it's commitments than say ... Notre Dame

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Its a nice addition. True that the first half of both 4-game series is @ Stanford--but those are Thanksgiving weekend games each of those 4 years. And it is tough to get road OOC games with Stanford since most of the time they are on the road 1 time OOC per year and have games already lined up. With the timing of the games being 2025, 2026, 2028, 2029, and 2031--it makes me believe that the Stanford/Notre Dame series may be coming to an end (their last scheduled matchup is 2024 and they already have H/H series scheduled with Boston College and what looks like a 2 for 1 with Vanderbilt beyond 2024).

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

ABYUFAN wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:47 pm
byufan4ever wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:41 pm https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.c ... me-series/
•Sept. 13, 2025, at BYU
•Sept. 1, 2029, at BYU
•Aug. 30, 2031, at BYU*
•Sept. 1, 2035, at BYU*

Have we seen anyone cancel their return trip to Provo yet? I cannot think of any. I don't think that the Stanford Athletic Dept has sooooo much cash laying around that they'll buy out three games.
Notre Dame still owes BYU several home games that while not cancelled are permanently postponed.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

byufan4ever wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:41 pm ...
The paranoia is real among many. Comical if you ask me.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

hawkwing wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:59 pm Notre Dame still owes BYU several home games that while not cancelled are permanently postponed.
Not true. Only 1 game @ Provo is owed and was not expected to be scheduled (if at all) before 2020.

https://fbschedules.com/future-byu-notr ... -one-game/

At his semi-annual roundtable discussion with reporters, Tom Holmoe stated that the second two-for-one series is “off the table” and that he will be “patient” for the Irish to return the game that is owed.
“I would say that the second two-for-one series is off the table. We do definitely need to clear up the first contract. Notre Dame had a schedule agreement with the ACC and it was a great opportunity for them. To think that they joined a conference out of football was a big thing. And so for them to do that changed things and that can happen for us. So I would really be hypocritical to think that I’d hold them to the fire for doing something that’s really good for them. But we’ve played them twice out there, and they need to return this game. But the second series of three games, I understand that.”

CougarCrazy
BLUEshirt

Post by CougarCrazy »

Fido wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:06 pm

Really? I’ll tell you what’s funny... not being skeptical of this deal. Really.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

CougarCrazy wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:18 pm
Fido wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:06 pm

Really? I’ll tell you what’s funny... not being skeptical of this deal. Really.
Didn't we see speculation that Michigan State and Missouri each would cancel their return trips? And here we are with them both coming to Provo this year. The level of paranoia about canceling return trips is actually very funny (but not as funny as the one about the three-legged dog walking into the bar and saying "I'm looking for the feller that shot my pa")

CougarCrazy
BLUEshirt

Post by CougarCrazy »

The gap in time before the last 2 games and weird front loading on this deal begs for questions.