Chaz Ah You arrested

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Chaz Ah You arrested

Post by a1247 »

a1247 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:25 pm
Fido wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:34 pm
frdbtr wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:18 pm How many of these instances did we have in 10 years of Bronco? How many have we had in 4 years of Sitake? Coaches can control these to an extent. Sitake has less discipline in his program that is a given.
There was plenty of black eyes during Bronco's administration.
Kyle Van Noy - DUI
Shiloah Te'o - DUI
Josh Weeks - violation of stalking order
Sione Takitaki - theft
Miami Beach Bowl brawl
Lapuaho nut punch
O'Neill Chambers - "disciplinary suspensions"
Terrance Hooks and Vic So'oto - burglary
Matangi Tonga - burglary
Jamaal Williams - underage drinking
I can't remember specifics but wasn't there a fight in a fast food joint involving a few player under Bronco?
I found and answered my own question
https://fox13now.com/2012/11/09/preview ... nce-video/

This was under Bronco and it did involve players getting suspended.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Dont forget the Hadley trip to Vegas and subsequent ute informant.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:21 pm I think you are reaching on a bunch of those. The Miami Beach bowl thing was ByU reacting to getting attacked by Memphis players. O'Neill Chambers "disciplinary issues" was him freaking out in 2010 from losing a lot, nothing to do with drinking or smoking weed. Kyle Van Noy DUI happened before he even came here and he never had any issues once he got here. Lapuaho was a football play, heat of the moment and was taken care of. I never heard about the Hooks So'oto thing you are going to have to enlighten me. I don't know how either player could have played at BYU after that, I don't even remember any suspensions for either of those players. That leaves what, 3-4 left, in 10 years?
https://www.heraldextra.com/news/byu-st ... 71825.html

Orem police Lt. Doug Edwards said the incident started Saturday at about 1 a.m., after the dance had ended and people were still milling around in the parking lot.

Two people, 22-year-old Lacey Quigley and 22-year-old Jason Hancock, both of Orem, were in an apartment on the third floor tossing water balloons from a bedroom window at people in the parking lot below, Edwards said. Dew got hit on the leg and became upset.

"Some insults and threats were exchanged between the two above and Dew below, and Dew said that she would be returning with some guys," Edwards said.

Edwards said Dew got her boyfriend, 19-year-old Hooks of Provo, who was accompanied by his friend, 19-year-old So'oto, also of Provo. Hooks and Dew engaged in some heated banter with the two above until Hooks declared that he was coming up to assault them, Edwards said.

To that, Quigley and Hancock locked the door and hid in the bedroom, he said.

Hooks, Dew and So'oto entered the apartment building and went to the third floor, but got turned around inside the building and started banging on the wrong apartment door, demanding entrance, Edwards said.

When no one answered immediately, Edwards said Hooks kicked the door in. The group in the "wrong apartment" called security, who happened to be an off-duty Orem police officer.

"He said, 'I'm on my way up to you right now, for heaven's sake, call the police,' " Edwards said, noting that police were in the area as extra security for the dance.

When Hooks, Dew and So'oto actually found the apartment they were looking for, they kicked that door in and proceeded to the back room where, Edwards said, the balloon throwers had retreated. Before they got to them, the security officer and police arrived in the apartment.

Edwards said that Hooks and So'oto didn't just kick the door in, they managed to take them off of the frame entirely and get the doors off the deadbolt. Only the doors were injured in the incident, he said.

I think there is plenty of evidence that Bronco had to deal with his share of guys screwing up over his 10 years--far more than the "3-4" incidents you are willing to acknowledge. That's the problem when one has an axe to grind. They aren't objective and judge unfairly.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

18-22 year olds are going to screw up. It's how it's handled afterwards that matters. DUI is not a "silly mistake" that young people make, it's a dangerous, life-threatening choice and should be treated as such.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

mtnradio wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:03 pm Hawk ... we need the "Like " button
I know! The software this site is built on is under going a major upgrade and so I haven't wanted to create a new custom "like" system until that is entirely worked out, but there have been a number of posts I've wanted to 👍 myself.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

hawkwing wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:32 am
mtnradio wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:03 pm Hawk ... we need the "Like " button
I know! The software this site is built on is under going a major upgrade and so I haven't wanted to create a new custom "like" system until that is entirely worked out, but there have been a number of posts I've wanted to 👍 myself.
“like”

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

An interesting turn of events:

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/3/1 ... lds-mormon

The Utah County Attorney’s Office is not prosecuting BYU football star Chaz Ah You on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol and marijuana, reckless driving and three other traffic-related infractions in February.

“Our office is declining to prosecute this case,” Tammy Painter, legal assistant in the county attorney’s office, wrote to the Utah County Justice Court March 3. “Can you cancel the pretrial and mark the case as declined?”

The pretrial conference had been scheduled for Thursday in Utah County Justice Court. The case against Ah You was marked closed on March 3, the day after BYU’s first spring practice.

Contacted Tuesday morning, Sherrie Hall Everett, public information officer for the Utah County Attorney’s Office, said her office is “putting together a press release on this matter” with the intention of sending it out later Tuesday and offered no further comment.

Ah You’s attorney, Michael J. Petro, did not immediately return telephone calls seeking comment...

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

So we don't know anything more than we did before. Could be part of a civil settlement, could be waiting for more investigation, etc., etc., and the prosecution could choose to bring charges later on as long as it is within the statute of limitations.

This takes some stink off of Ah You, but at the same time it is far from clearing his name.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

The press release gives more details:
“In this case, there is a lack of admissible evidence,” Utah County Attorney David Leavitt said in a news release issued Tuesday afternoon a few hours after the Deseret News first reported that all five charges against Ah You had been dropped.

“Justice would not be served in this matter,” Leavitt continued. “This has nothing to do with who he is or where he attends school. My job is to safeguard the rights of all in a potential criminal matter and direct my attention to the law and the facts.”

A pretrial conference had been scheduled for Thursday in Utah County Justice Court, but was canceled on March 3 when Tammy Painter, a legal assistant in the county attorney’s office, wrote to the Utah County Justice Court that “our office is declining to prosecute this case.”

The case against Ah You was marked closed the day after BYU’s first spring practice on March 2.

Ah You’s attorney, Michael J. Petro, said it was his understanding that the charges were dropped due to “evidentiary issues” and some doubt from the UCAO “whether they could prevail” in the case.

...“Every case is unique. Every case has its own facts. I lean on the experience of my screening team to wisely balance the evidence with the rights of the accused, and the State’s ability to be effective at trial,” Leavitt said in the news release, noting that he made “the final decision” after a group of “many of our most experienced attorneys” reviewed everything that was submitted by the Utah County Sheriff’s Office.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/3/1 ... lds-mormon

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Sounds like there was some question on whether some or all of the evidence indicating Ah You was drunk and high at the time would be deemed inadmissible and rather than get a black-eye on shoddy police work they are dropping the case.