QB Race - Who will be the Starter?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

QB Race - Who will be the Starter?

Post by scott715 »

It has been Wilson for two years. We have all raved about him but his record has not been good. So the question is why do we rave so much about him? Was it the first half against Utah where we had a big lead? Was his injury part of the problem last year?

For me the race should be open. I like how Romney performed when he had a chance. Wilson does have more experience. Hall had a problem with concussions. Will Conley be home from his mission? This virus could mess up the spacing between QBs. Maybe Conley greyshirts to spread them out.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: QB Race - Who will be the Starter?

Post by frdbtr »

I've said it before that Romney was the best QB on the roster. Hall and Romney both outplayed Wilson. I would make it an open competition and give the job to the guy that wins it. Having said that, the starter is going to be Wilson because we can't bench a guy that we begged to come to BYU in the first place over guys who want to be here regardless; even if the guy we begged to BYU isn't performing as well as the guys behind him, especially since we just inked a new deal that guarantees us a job for the next few years.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

I think the biggest reason for Wilson getting the majority of the playing time has been health. Wilson won the job going into the season (right or wrong). When he was injured, the other QBs got some time. Wilson took over again when healthy and stealing the job from Wilson late in the year was not possible due to injuries among the backups.

Hall missed the last 5 games of the season in concussion protocol after suffering his second concussion in as many starts. Romney was not cleared to play for several games late in the season with a "terrible sickness" and turf toe.
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-couga ... tart-gear/

Romney was put on scholarship in January--and reportedly the competition is open again this year starting with spring--but Romney was still not available this spring due to injury. Only Wilson and Hall were working out in spring ball before it was suspended.
https://1280thezone.com/aaron-roderick- ... se-my-job/

If you are never available due to injury, it is hard to beat out the guy in front of you. I don't doubt that Roderick is going to pick the guy he feels gives the team the best chance to win. That interview says it all. He gets fired if the team doesn't win--so every day is a battle for the spot and you earn it in practice.
Last edited by Fido on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

I hope Romney and Hall heal. I liked Romney’s playmaking and decision skills. Wilson and Hall are gifted athletically, perhaps ahead of Romney there but at least Wilson’s decision making or at least his ability to see the field seems less than Romney’s.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BoiseBYU wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:08 am I hope Romney and Hall heal. I liked Romney’s playmaking and decision skills. Wilson and Hall are gifted athletically, perhaps ahead of Romney there but at least Wilson’s decision making or at least his ability to see the field seems less than Romney’s.
Romney is the first QB we've seen here at BYU in a long time that was actually reading the defense and beating it with his arm. I'm sick of watching guys drop back and sit there holding the ball waiting for something to develop, then either giving up a sack or throwing bad balls into coverage. We need a guy like Romney leading the team. I couldn't care less about athletic talent right now, I want to see smart QB play. The nice thing about Hall is he seemed to have a really good mixture of both but I am concerned about his health.

Commoner
Recruit

Post by Commoner »

Wilson has the bad habit of staring down his receivers and the defenses keyed in that tendency. Last year, he had 11 tds and 9 ints.

Unless the coaches can cure him of that flaw, the results will be comparable to last year.

I hope that there is a real competition for QB but I get the feeling that unless injured, Wilson has a lock on the position.

Especially now that Spring ball has been cancelled. The coaching staff may decide that status quo, using an experienced starter, even one that his 9-9 overall.

Wesmac
Gray Shirt

Post by Wesmac »

Do you think this is the best time to experiment a bit?

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Right now I'm hoping we have a season.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic