Unpopular Opinion

BYU Cougars on the court.
GAKunkel
Recruit

Unpopular Opinion

Post by GAKunkel »

Pope isn’t that good of a coach.

Great recruiter (though we can’t seem to get any shooters), good at developing bigs, but bad at offense and getting his guys ready for games. I’ve never seen a more stagnant offense. The last time I saw an offense this stagnant was watching Air Force’s version of the Princeton offense circa 2002. I can understand a poor game or two, but for over half the season the offense looked terrible, even in games that we won.

I have never seen such a complete lack of midrange shots from a team, let alone on a BYU team. No pull up jumpers. No dribble stop and pop. No hand off jumpers off a screen. Few, if any turn-around jumpers. Just a bunch of dribbling around and passing the ball around at the top of the key and wannabe iso plays. What a lot of people don’t realize are players like Jordan, Bryant, and Lebron scored most of their points off jumpers. Haws is the leading scorer at BYU because he ate it up 8 to 15 feet from the basket, jumper after jumper, night after night. We need a guy or two like that to curl off a screen hard, pull up and drain it. Barcello, Lucas, Johnson and Knell came off screens and did nothing. They literally stop and dribble around. If there is empty space, instead of pulling up right there and taking advantage of the wide open space, they proceeded to dribble into traffic.

Instead of adjusting the offense and looking for ways to improve it, Pope continued to do it all season long, crossing our fingers that it would work this game.

Now, before you say…oh the injuries…the injuries are why we lost, this team was playing better in the middle of the season than it was at the end, and Traore developed into a much better big man than Harward and Baxter ever were. So I don’t excuse the poor offense on the injuries. This team digressed and got away from Pope.

We are going to have some long seasons in the Big12. Get used to not going dancing.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Unpopular Opinion

Post by scott715 »

Hopefully they do better next year. Wonder who we will get in the transfer portal.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BYU seems to have taken a step back from the prime Rose days. BYU wasn't losing to the dregs of the MWC very often, there were a few years here and there but this was a team that looked worse after 20 games. It was odd. Rose had BYU playing in WCC championship or semi final games frequently. A very odd feeling year after all was said and done.

GAKunkel
Recruit

Post by GAKunkel »

Yeah. Before cancer, Rose was killing it. Had BYU showing up and competing with lesser talent too. That gets forgotten. Pope is bringing in some really athletic players we’ve dreamed of having but can’t seem to do with them what Rose did.

Which just leads me to believe a lot of it is scheming and coaching. Rose’s team had an identity. He had a style. Pope…I am not sure what his style is and I am not sure he even knows.

Wolverine
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Wolverine »

Could it have anything to do with revamping your team every year, and doing so mid stream this year? In Rose’s best stretch, key players stayed 4 plus years (Jimmer, Emery, Tavernari, both Haws, Hartsock, Miles, etc.). I’m willing to give Pope the benefit of the doubt this season.

jadesroom
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by jadesroom »

GAKunkel wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:03 am Yeah. Before cancer, Rose was killing it. Had BYU showing up and competing with lesser talent too. That gets forgotten. Pope is bringing in some really athletic players we’ve dreamed of having but can’t seem to do with them what Rose did.
You're mistaken when with the sentence, "Before cancer, Rose was killing it."

Rose's teams often underperformed against any team not named Gonzaga. I would say that with Jimmer and before Jimmer, Rose was killing it. Our post-Jimmer years in the WCC were filled with underperformance, frustration, and poor defense.

For example, from 2012 to 2019, Rose-coached teams lost to the follwoing WCC teams not named St. Mary's or Gonzaga and none whom made the NCAA and, I don't believe, the NIT (defensive rating out of approximately 340 teams is in parenthesis):

2012: LMU (24)
2013: SD (twice), SFU (119)
2014 LMU, Pep, Port, Pac (156)
2015 Pep (twice), SD (188) btw, the season ended with a defensive collapse against Mississippi
2016 Port, Pep, Pac (59)
2017 SD, SC, Pep (69)
2018 Pac, LMU, SD (62)
2019 SFU (twice), SD (249)

I'm not saying that Pope is not without his faults. I actually agree that poor coaching and failure to make adjustments led to a disappointing season. However, present disappointment has led some to wish for years that did not exist except in the mind. Rose's post-Jimmer years were very disappointing (two NIT semifinals being the exception).

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Haha, I remember during his first two seasons I saw some worrying signs and people just shot me down and thought Pope was gold. He was gold with Rose's recruits. We very well may have gone to a Final Four in his first season which would have immortalized him and kept anyone from ever thinking he was anything less than perfect for the rest of their lives.

The honeymoon period is over. I think he is a good, but not great coach. Like you, I hate his offense. I liked Roses' up tempo offense even if we lost some games that we shouldn't have. I will say that in general the mid range jumper has just disappeared from basketball. It's all about spreading the floor and hitting deep 3s now it seems like.

This isn't necessary against Pope, but I am really torn on the new trend of anybody who got 1 minute less of playing time than they think they deserved will now run to the transfer portal. In some ways I'm glad for the student athletes because why should they be bound for 4 years when the school can drop their scholarship after any given year? But I really hate this trend of half the team entering the portal and leaving every year now. The rumor from Ben Criddle is that half our team very well may enter the portal this year...I'm not sure what the solution is, perhaps scholarships should be a two year commitment from both the student and the school? In any case, we have to do much better in the portal if this is going to be the trend. I'm immediately not impressed with anyone we bring in that has already bounced around at 2+ other schools. What makes you think they'll do well here and not there? Reminds me of Carlino. We need to be looking for players at bigger schools wanting for paying time or players at smaller schools looking to step it up to a bigger school.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
jadesroom
Freshman

Post by jadesroom »

byufan4ever wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:25 pm I liked Roses' up tempo offense even if we lost some games that we shouldn't have.
A few points to ponder if Rose and not Pope had coached the 2019-2020 team:

1. Yoeli would probably not have returned
2. Toolson would not have returned to BYU
3. Poor defense would have continued and BYU would have continued to lose some games that we shouldn't have.

I agree with the point that the transfer portal is an immediate--but not a good--way to build a program. Incoming freshmen need to know that the University has a four-year committment to making them better both on the court and off.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

jadesroom wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:20 pm
byufan4ever wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:25 pm I liked Roses' up tempo offense even if we lost some games that we shouldn't have.
A few points to ponder if Rose and not Pope had coached the 2019-2020 team:

1. Yoeli would probably not have returned
2. Toolson would not have returned to BYU
3. Poor defense would have continued and BYU would have continued to lose some games that we shouldn't have.

I agree with the point that the transfer portal is an immediate--but not a good--way to build a program. Incoming freshmen need to know that the University has a four-year committment to making them better both on the court and off.
Points #1 & #2 I totally agree with and have commented as such here. #3 True Rose's teams were not known for their defense. Our defense has seemed better under Pope, but at times this season especially the last 10 games or so it was actually atrocious. Gonzaga is a good team and all that but we allowed them to shoot the highest FG% out of any team any game this season (at least at the time of the game). There were times where our guys acted like they didn't want to defend out to the 3 point line or be within 5 feet of their defender. At the beginning of the season our defensive intensity was amazing at times. Not so much later in the season.

I still want to see a better offense AND a better defense. Both can be switched up every once in a while. Pope was so unwilling to try new things. Come on, my tiny HS team was able to run multiple offenses and defenses every freakin game. If Pope isn't good at the X & Os, then he'd better get an assistant who is.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
jadesroom
Freshman

Post by jadesroom »

I agree with both you and the original poster on these major points: The team failed to make adjustments as the year progressed, at times the offense and defense were exceptionally stagnant (BYU should not have lost to Santa Clara and Pacific), the number one reason BYU was not in the NCAA this year was coaching and not injuries, and if Pope doesn't coach better then we better say goodbye to the NCAA.