Bronco acknowledges "separation" in QB race

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Bronco acknowledges "separation" in QB race

Post by snoscythe »

Says Nelson and Heaps have established a slight (and he emphasized slight) separation from Lark in the race. Talked about Heaps getting to the endzone vs. Nelson's leadership and grit.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p ... &tb=1&pb=1

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Bronco acknowledges "separation" in QB race

Post by Ddawg »

Just looking @ the published numbers from Spring Football so far - you could see it. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall during practice & really see what was going on. If Bronco see's it - the QB's themselves certainly sense it.

Good luck to all!!!!

BigCougsFan
All-American

Post by BigCougsFan »

Ddawg wrote:Just looking @ the published numbers from Spring Football so far - you could see it. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall during practice & really see what was going on. If Bronco see's it - the QB's themselves certainly sense it.

Good luck to all!!!!
You are your own worst critic. They definitely see it!

BerliNY
All-American

Post by BerliNY »

... and then there were two.

Loyal Strong True
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Personally, I think there is probably really only one. When one QB is getting into the endzone and regularly driving the team down the field, and the way you describe the other one is that he has grit and determination--I think the job goes to the one who actually gets the ball in the end zone. This was just another example of coach speak because Bronco cannot turn the leadership over to Heaps as a true freshman for summer workouts. He will be the starter for game one though. I have no inside sources--other than the scattered thoughts inside my brain and gleaning what I can from what are admittedly carefully chosen words by the coaches in the articles to date. In the end, it is going to be whoever performs best that wins the competition--exactly as it should be. To date, Heaps apparently has the better deep ball, moves the offense better down the field, and scores touchdowns. I think it's his job to lose.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

Cougarfan87 wrote:Personally, I think there is probably really only one. When one QB is getting into the endzone and regularly driving the team down the field, and the way you describe the other one is that he has grit and determination--I think the job goes to the one who actually gets the ball in the end zone.
Amen to that. You play the game to win, not to say you played with a great bunch of guys. I guarantee every other guy on the BYU roster wants the QB in that helps them win this Fall, and typically, getting the team in the endzone does that. It is not an underrated skill.

I also just want to point out that Heaps JUST GOT HERE. He has been in school for 3 months now, and he already has separated from Lark and is on equal footing with Nelson. Both those guys have had more time with this offense, more with the drills BYU runs in practice than Heaps. With another summer to run drills and work out with the guys, expect Heaps to separate even more. The fact Nelson does not have the edge at this point is what is most surprising. Barring injury, I think Heaps wins this job due to his overall talent.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Doman has said repeatedly that they are looking for someone who can lead the team to a championship, and that isn't necessarily the guy with the best numbers. He cites himself as an example--not the best quarterback BYU had in the stable statistically, but he led them to championships.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I saw on TBS that there have been 14 TD drives this spring. 11 have been engineered by Heaps, 2 by Nelson and 1 by Lark.

Doman may not have been the best QB or most talented at BYU, but one thing he was very effective at doing was getting the ball in the endzone.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
tmoney35
Senior

Post by tmoney35 »

i've heard a lot of talk (from another forum) that if Heaps starts this year he won't serve a mission and if he doesn't start, he will serve after this coming season.

has anyone heard anything about this or have any quotes from Heaps or coaches on the subject?

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

snoscythe wrote:Doman has said repeatedly that they are looking for someone who can lead the team to a championship, and that isn't necessarily the guy with the best numbers. He cites himself as an example--not the best quarterback BYU had in the stable statistically, but he led them to championships.
Jay Drew also reports that Bronco shares the sentiment, and that the comments yesterday about Nelson and Heaps separating themselves from Lark came in response to a question as to whether Heaps alone was separating himself from Nelson and Lark--which indicates he really does have Nelson and Heaps on a par. Otherwise, a simple "yes" would have been a much simpler answer. Bronco also referenced the emergence of Harvey and the Olinemen as the real leadership of the team that I mentioned previously, which takes the urgency out of naming a starting QB in the spring.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php?p ... &tb=1&pb=1