The Gardner and the Currant Bush

BYU Cougars on the court.
1967cougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

The Gardner and the Currant Bush

Post by 1967cougar »

Most of you are too young to remember this story by Hugh B. Brown, 1st Counselor to David O. McKay. I'll offer no commentary. Just take it for what it's worth and how it might relate to our current basketball situation.

In the early dawn, a young gardener was pruning his trees and shrubs. He had one choice currant bush which had gone too much to wood. He feared therefore that it would produce little, if any, fruit.

Accordingly, he trimmed and pruned the bush and cut it back. In fact, when he had finished, there was little left but stumps and roots.

Tenderly he considered what was left. It looked so sad and deeply hurt. On every stump there seemed to be a tear where the pruning knife had cut away the growth of early spring. The poor bush seemed to speak to him, and he thought he heard it say:

"Oh, how could you be so cruel to me, you who claim to be my friend, who planted me and cared for me when I was young, and nurtured and encouraged me to grow? Could you not see that I was rapidly
responding to your care? I was nearly half as large as the trees across the fence, and might soon have become like one of them. But now you've cut my branches back; the green, attractive leaves are gone, and I am in disgrace among my fellows."

The young gardener looked at the weeping bush and heard its plea with sympathetic understanding. His voice was full of kindness as he said, "Do not cry; what I have done to you was necessary that you might be a prize currant bush in my garden. You were not intended to give shade or shelter by your branches. My purpose when I planted you was that you should bear fruit. When I want currants, a tree, regardless of its size, cannot supply the need."

"No, my little currant bush, if I had allowed you to continue to grow as you had started, all your strength would have gone to wood; your roots would not have gained a firm hold, and the purpose for which I brought you into my garden would have been defeated. Your place would have been taken by another, for you would have been barren. You must not weep; all this will be for your good; and some day, when you see more clearly, when you are richly laden with luscious fruit, you will thank me and say, 'Surely, he was a wise and loving gardener.' He knew the purpose of my being, and I thank him now for what I then thought was cruelty.'"

Some years later, this young gardener was in a foreign land, and he himself was growing. He was proud of his position and ambitious for the future.

One day an unexpected vacancy entitled him to promotion. The goal to which he had aspired was now almost within his grasp, and he was proud of the rapid growth which he was making.

But for some reason unknown to him, another was appointed in his stead, and he was asked to take another post relatively unimportant which, under the circumstances, caused his friends to feel that he
had failed.

The young man staggered to this tent and knelt beside his cot and wept. He knew now that he could never hope to have what he had thought so desirable. He cried to God and said, "Oh, how could you be so cruel to me? You who claim to be my friend -- you who brought me here and nurtured and encouraged me to grow. Could you not see that I was almost equal to the other men whom I have so long admired? But now I have been cut down. I am in disgrace among my fellows. Oh, how could you do this to me?"

He was humiliated and chagrined and a drop of bitterness was in his heart, when he seemed to hear an echo from the past. Where had he heard those words before? They seemed familiar. Memory whispered: "I'm the gardener here."

He caught his breath. Ah, that was it -- the currant bush! But why should that long-forgotten incident come to him in the midst of his hour of tragedy? And memory answered with words which he himself
had spoken:

"Do not cry...what I have done to you was necessary...you were not intended for what you sought to be, ... if I had allowed you to continue...you would have failed in the purpose for which I planted you and my plans for you would have been defeated. You must not weep; some day which you are richly laden with experience you will say, 'He was a wise gardener. He knew the purpose of my earth life...I thank him now for what I thought was cruel.'"

His own words were the medium by which his prayer was answered. There was not bitterness in his heart as he humbly spoke again to God and said, "I know you now. You are the gardener, and I the
currant bush. Help me dear God, to endure the pruning, and to grow as you would have me grow; to take my allotted place in life and ever more to say, 'Thy will not mine be done.'"

Another lapse of time in our story. Forty years have passed. The former gardener and officer sits by his fireside with wife and children and grandchildren. He tells them the story of the currant bush -- his own story; and as he kneels in prayer with them, he reverently says to God, "Help us all to understand the purpose of our being, and be ever willing to submit to thy will and not insist upon our own. We remember that in another garden called Gethsemane the choicest of all thy sons was glorified by submission unto thy will."

kiwibacon
All-American

Re: The Gardner and the Currant Bush

Post by kiwibacon »

Thanks for sharing.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Always enjoyed that talk.

CougarPeasant
All-American

Post by CougarPeasant »

Thank you for sharing this. I thought of this talk last night while gnashing my teeth.

It's even better when Elder Brown tells it. He is/was a master story teller.

bigbluepuma
All-American

Post by bigbluepuma »

For those who have never heard the story, instead of becoming a general in the Cnadian army, he became a general (authority) in the Lord's army.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I cant help but say.....nope, wont denegrate this sacred thread. But maybe Brandon should have, well,........nope cant say it.

It is a fabulous talk. Very inspiring. I think it can be found on lds.org be downloaded.
Last edited by Cougs_Rule on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

NebraskaCoug
BLUEshirt

Post by NebraskaCoug »

I went to bed, and couldn't sleep as I was thinking about what a peculiar phenomenon this whole situation is. We are very blessed to be affiliated with, and fans of a great institution that really is a bulwark against evil in our day.

I think this story is really the perfect perspective to place this whole situation in. I have argued in other threads about the technical mishandling of the P.R. of this situation that has resulted in Davies' transgressions being shouted from the rooftops. However, in an eternal perspective, there are no coincidences. Things happen for a reason. We may never know all the reasons why this had to happen when it did, and the way it did for Brandon, and for anyone and everyone else who has a stake in this situation or in the Cougars' season, be that stake ever so small.

However, I do know that
"God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted (footnote says TG Test) above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Corinthians 10:13)
and that
. . . all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. (D&C 122:7)
I have no doubt that through this experience, the loving Gardner is building a bright, beautiful and fruitful future for some of His prized currant bushes.
Last edited by NebraskaCoug on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

IowaCougar
Junior

Post by IowaCougar »

Thank you. I've been somewhat discouraged by the rantings of some on this site. This shows me that most here are those that I'm proud to be associated with.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

NebraskaCoug wrote:I went to bed, and couldn't sleep as I was thinking about what a peculiar phenomenon this whole situation is. We are very blessed to be affiliated with, and fans of a great institution that really is a bulwark against evil in our day.

I think this story is really the perfect perspective to place this whole situation in. I have argued in other threads about the technical mishandling of the P.R. of this situation that has resulted in Davies' transgressions being shouted from the rooftops. However, in an eternal perspective, there are no coincidences. Things happen for a reason. We may never know all the reasons why this had to happenwhen it did, and the way it did for Brandon, and for anyone and everyone else who has a stake in this situation or in the Cougars' season, be that stake ever so small.

)
I have no doubt that through this experience, the loving Gardner is building a bright, beautiful and fruitful future for some of His prized currant bushes.[/quote]

In all sincerity, Did this need to happen? Did the Gardner script all this? Did the town cryer really need to tell what was going on in the garden of this young man's soul? Did the keepers of the garden need to put the prized vegetable on the front porch for all to see that it was rotten and had to be rooted out?
Now, if you are saying that the gardner can make something good out of the mess his little workers created, I can accept that. And thank goodness that he can.

NebraskaCoug
BLUEshirt

Post by NebraskaCoug »

Technical difficulties (read "user error" ;) ). Please see my next post.
Last edited by NebraskaCoug on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.