Archived Topic

Does Bronco receive special revelation? (poll)

by DarthMagnus · 10/24/2011

Advertisement
D
DarthMagnus
What I mean by "special revelation" is revelation that he has access to as the BYU coach that coaches at other places wouldn't or that he wouldn't have if he were coaching somewhere else.



I am sure some people will call this a dumb question, but I am actually genuinely interested to see what this community thinks. I thought about having more answer options that might better encapsulate the variety of thoughts on the matter, but decided that a simple yes or no is more decisive.
U
Ungoy
Strange question, but as far as how he directs the team, I don't think so. Meaning, there is no revelation as to who he should play at a certain position, and no revelation as to what defensive scheme he should use. I also don't think he receives revelation as far as individual players are concerned, mainly because head football coach is not a position he is set apart to with specific keys given to him by priesthood authority. Bronco is their coach, not their priesthood leader. He has special insight into his players lives, but no more so than other coaches who are invested in the success of their players.
C
Cougarbib
I said no because you said SPECIAL. I am sure he is guided by the Spirit at times as is anyone who lives a life worthy for the Spirit to dwell with them.
B
BYULV
I sure hope he's not receiving revelation, or else God isn't as powerful as we think. That or he is getting his inspiration from some other source. Now that I think about it, KWhit probably gets revelation prior to the BYU game, only the source is definitely in question and the price must be a mortgage on the rest of his season for a win over BYU.



Alternatively, the guys from Buffalo Wild Wings must have taken over control of the game and caused all those BYU turnovers.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Yes, but only to the degree BYU football has a different mission, and therefore he has different ("special") responsibilities.



To the extent Bronco has been instructed to use the football team as a missionary tool, he is entitled to receive revelation that he would not be entitled to elsewhere.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
snoscythe wrote:
Yes, but only to the degree BYU football has a different mission, and therefore he has different ("special") responsibilities.



To the extent Bronco has been instructed to use the football team as a missionary tool, he is entitled to receive revelation that he would not be entitled to elsewhere.


So basically for firesides and such? Maybe for providing council even though not a set apart priesthood leader?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
DarthMagnus
snoscythe wrote:
Yes, but only to the degree BYU football has a different mission, and therefore he has different ("special") responsibilities.



To the extent Bronco has been instructed to use the football team as a missionary tool, he is entitled to receive revelation that he would not be entitled to elsewhere.


Does winning increase the football team's usefulness and effectiveness as a missionary tool?
S
snoscythe
DarthMagnus wrote:
Yes, but only to the degree BYU football has a different mission, and therefore he has different ("special") responsibilities.



To the extent Bronco has been instructed to use the football team as a missionary tool, he is entitled to receive revelation that he would not be entitled to elsewhere.


Does winning increase the football team's usefulness and effectiveness as a missionary tool?


I don't think Bronco receives any additional revelation re: gameplans and winning games when compared to other coaches. I think the revelation that matters in that respect belongs to the AD in determining which coach to hire.
D
Dcr36
I have it on pretty good authority that God is willing to provide assistance in the regular season, but during the championship, He stays His divine hand.



For more on this subject: http://tinyurl.com/3ee4nyk
S
scott715
I find this question dangereous and so I am not answering. however I really like the answers so far and make me ponder the question. Here is a thought. They should make the team a ward and Bronco as Bishop. He does not have time to do that so he would have two or more councillors who would do all of the work. Then Bronco can direct the work.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
From what I know BYU Head Coach is not a calling in the church - at least it isn't listed in the manuals - and therefore carries no stewardship with it for which someone would be set apart for and entitled to specific or "special" revelation. His job and the divine intervention he receives around it is no different than yours or mine.



We receive guidance based on what we seek guidance around. If each of us were to look at our jobs as ways to spread the gospel and thus ask the Lord for guidance on how to do a better job of using our job to spread the gospel we would be receiving the same type of "special" revelation. Has nothing to so with the job itself.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
R
redneckjedi
Collie 4:18
B
byufan4ever
I voted no, but I do believe that there is potentially revelation regarding the big decisions such as the move to independence and not to the Big 12 (yet). That's why I'm not so upset about it. Big 12 would be great in many ways (not in all ways), but maybe the Spirit whispered something to the BOT about what's best for the long run. But that does not involve Bronco.
B
Brayden Green
I think he can use the spirit to help kids, and know what to say to them. Just as any boss can use it.



As for gameplanning, prep, and all that other sutff, I'm gonna say a HUGE no on that.



God honestly doesn't care whether or not we win a football game. He isn't going to give BYU any extra help that any other college couldn't have.
C
CougarClaw
I voted no because you used the qualifier "special".



We've been commanded to pray over our fields, our livestock and our efforts. We've been told to pray For our enemies and against the destroyer and we've also been told that if we pay our tithing and live righteously, the devourer (injuries?) will be rebuked. and don't forget that the BOM also promises that if we live righteously, we will "prosper in the land". you can transfer those to football however you'd like but keep in mind that Bronco has just as much reason to "liken those promises " to his band of brothers as you do in your lawyer and accounting jobs.



None of that is special. It's everyday righteous living. I'm sure he's as inspired as any man with a stewardship/job/livelihood.



Seems like the next question would be how does revelation affect the W/L record? And to that, I say I have not a clue. But when I look at Kyle Van Noy's journey or a Brian Logan and I definitely see an inspired Head Coach.
Advertisement
S
scott715
So you are saying that Bronco prays too much for our enemies/opponents?
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.