Archived Topic

What is better a JC recruit or a freshman?

by scott715 · 5/8/2012

Advertisement
S
scott715
This was hinted at in another post. Which one is better for our program? What are the pros and cons? I like JCs even though they are not around a long time.
L
Lawboy
It is need based. If you have gaping needs because you missed in recruiting, or missions caused chaos, JC works best. Also, some kids who are very athletic, but academic non-qualifiers out of high school who go JC and play corner, those work best for BYU. In our history, our best corners are JC transfers, with a few rare exceptions.



As to all other positions, 4 year is better.
B
byucougar1
Back when Ricks College and Snow College were major pipelines in providing BYU seasoned, experienced players, I would say that JC route proved quite successful. Kids were able to ger prerequisites out of the way, adjust to college life, and get some valuable playing time in. I still believe that this is one method to fill in needs but should be combined with HS recruiting for stability of program. USC was highly successful taking this approach. I also believe that it is not restricted to JC DBs but can apply to LBs, DTs, TEs, RBs or wherever the position requires some proven talent.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Magnus Ver Magnusson
Wasn't Steve Sarkisian a JC recruit? Again, I agree it depends on need and situation, but he sure turned out great.
M
Mars


Exactly. A strong program is built best on 5-year players. A program with holes is served best with JC plugs (transfers, players lost to injuries, academic casualties, HC violations, surprise missions, early draftees, etc).
Advertisement
S
scott715
consider that the JC is seasoned and will be productive both of his years. Many Freshman and Sophmores sit on the bench. Maybe the JC is more efficient even if he redshirts a year.
S
SpiffCoug
At BYU, I'm going with freshmen.



In most cases, players go JC for one of two reasons: either they're not good enough or they couldn't qualify academically.
F
Florwood
When I met my future wife at BYU, she had just transferred from El Camino College--so I'm going with JC transfer.
B
byucougar1
Regardless of why the players take the JC route, if they are successful both on and off the field, they can be a very valuable asset and plug into the program rather quickly if in the right program. Joe Sampson is just one of the many examples that has worked out well for us.
M
mormonrasta
The problem with JC guys is that their lifespan in a program is short and there is still a learning curve just like you have with freshmen. Programs that are heavily reliant on JC guys look alot like New Mexico State with the exception of Bill Snyder's Kansas State teams.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Magnus Ver Magnusson wrote:
Wasn't Steve Sarkisian a JC recruit? Again, I agree it depends on need and situation, but he sure turned out great.

Yes - he was a JC transfer - out of California iirc. Maybe El Camino Community College.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Florwood wrote:
When I met my future wife at BYU, she had just transferred from El Camino College--so I'm going with JC transfer.

Did you Marry Sark?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.