Archived Topic

Running game/fall camp

by frdbtr · 9/15/2012

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Folks, I keep thinking back to fall camp. Our offense had no problem putting up running yards on our defense. Yes, I am aware that there were some starters held out of those scrimmages but would that have made that much of a difference? We obviously have a very good defense that doesn't allow teams to run on us very much, how did our offense put up running yards on them in camp but can't run on weber state? I have been thinking about this all week. I think that we haven't seen our real running game yet, I think that Doman is about to unleash something that no one has seen yet. I think we are going to run on utah and they won't be able to run on us. Someone posted a thread asking for help in believing we can win. This is something to think about.
S
SpiffCoug
I wonder if we see a 1996-esque game plan. Maybe Jamaal Williams gets 10 carries, Alisa gets 20, another 10 for Foote and so on.
C
CDH
I kinda agree with you on this topic. Also I think some people are making a bigger deal out of the running game then it needs to be. We had 123 and 225 yards in our first 2 games. Against teams that we didn't have to run to set up the pass. We were throwing the ball all over the place. The pass was available from the coin toss against both D's. I really think the run game will be a surprise tomorrow. I hope!!!!! :crazy:
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
I wonder if we see a 1996-esque game plan. Maybe Jamaal Williams gets 10 carries, Alisa gets 20, another 10 for Foote and so on.


I am worried about our running game based on what I have seen in the last 2 games but I just keep thinking back to fall camp. Hine ran for 117 yards and Williams had a big day in another scrimmage. I know that we had some starters out but Our backup guys are better than Weber's defense. Second, Bronco said in an interview that our offense was ahead of where it was in fall camp of 2011 his quote was "they are very hard to stop". So trying to reconcile what happened in camp and what has happened in 2 games....something is not adding up. The only answer to the question is, BYU has been doing just enough to secure victory and no more. I think we see the playbook this week, there is no reason to hold anything back.
C
Cougs_Rule
I have wondered about this as well. I think it is a combination of several things. Primarily, it was paying 2s and 3s vs the 1s on offense. As well, KVN played very little. Same with Tree.

But I also hope that a good percentage of it is as you are suggesting. I hope Jamal has somethin, somethin to bust out! Same with Hine. And Lasike is a beast.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
IN Fall camp, the numbers we put up were against the back up D line. Dulan, Tialavea, Fuga and Manu all sat. So similar to how WEber State ran on us when those guys were out, so did our Oline backups.



Point being, those starters are really good at run support and the backups show promise but are not there yet.



I honestly think that our blocking schemes and plays will be different vs. Utah. I think by design.
F
frdbtr
Lawboy wrote:
IN Fall camp, the numbers we put up were against the back up D line. Dulan, Tialavea, Fuga and Manu all sat. So similar to how WEber State ran on us when those guys were out, so did our Oline backups.



Point being, those starters are really good at run support and the backups show promise but are not there yet.



I honestly think that our blocking schemes and plays will be different vs. Utah. I think by design.


But we were also running mostly 2's and 3's on the oline and RB too. I am not saying that we are going to run all over utah but I just don't think we have seen our entire offensive package yet. I think we are going to see it tomorrow.
C
Cougarbib
Pretty optimistic OP. Could happen. Don't bet the entire farm, though.
M
Mythranor
Lawboy wrote:
IN Fall camp, the numbers we put up were against the back up D line. Dulan, Tialavea, Fuga and Manu all sat. So similar to how WEber State ran on us when those guys were out, so did our Oline backups.



Point being, those starters are really good at run support and the backups show promise but are not there yet.



I honestly think that our blocking schemes and plays will be different vs. Utah. I think by design.


In the scrimmage this is true. But I seem to remember a few articles about how dominant the BYU run game was in the practices each day and that was 1s against 1s. Maybe I'm getting reports confused, but maybe there is something to this.
S
snoscythe
You mean the stats put up in the least physical Fall Camp since Bronco took over?
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
snoscythe wrote:
You mean the stats put up in the least physical Fall Camp since Bronco took over?


Yes. That one. A year after the one where we were so far ahead, we took a day or two off before the first game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
Any running play in bronco's "non physical" camp was blown dead the very second anyone got close to the ball carrier so if they were picking up yards, they probably could have gotten more in actual play.
S
snoscythe
frdbtr wrote:
Any running play in bronco's "non physical" camp was blown dead the very second anyone got close to the ball carrier so if they were picking up yards, they probably could have gotten more in actual play.


True, but the offensive and defensive lines were dialing it back in the trenches as well, so fall camp stats overall mean bupkis.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.