Archived Topic

Worst Coaching Decision in the History of BYU Football.

by SpiffCoug · 9/21/2012

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
Bright side? The more losses the more likely changes are made. I'll look at this polluted glass of water as half full.
B
BroncoBot
runbyu1 wrote:



But the play they ran was stupid.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Our pathetic, porous O-line letting a man break through that fast and chase Taysom down was what was stupid.

Agreed. Most important play of the game and you let your guy blow you up. TERRIBLE timing to give A HALF_A#% EFFORT> AND SOMEHOW I TURNED ON STICKY KEYS>
S
stuckinbig10country
I thought it was the right call. If the OL makes a block he's got a run throw option and we probably score. Under 3 mins left, no TO's, not going to get the ball back with enough time to get into FG range. A freshman in OT, and you're guaranteeing a win?
J
jacksonman
Superficially, it is the right call. Chance to win on the road, you should take it, EXCEPT... Bronco should have known better:



1 - our D was handling them. Their O hadn't scored ALL game. We held them on 1st and goal from the 1.

2 - they don't have a FG kicker. In OT, you need a FG kicker. Our D would stuff them and they would have to go for it on 4th.

3 - our offense was finally clicking.

4 - our kicker would have made the PAT, we had time to stop them and get the ball back to win.



My first thought when I saw the call fr 2 was, Wow, might as well. But within a few seconds I was really hoping that they would just kick the PAT and let the defense do their thing. If all us arm chair coaches can see it, why can't they?
B
BoiseBYU
SpiffCoug wrote:
Y 4 Ever wrote:
You are all crazy. It was absolutely the right call. Raise your hand if you think byu would have won in ot. but at that point byu had the momentum and bsu was on their heals. When your offense has looked that completely and totally inept, but you have a chance to win the game, you take it. I have no problem with the decision to go for 2.



But the play they ran was stupid.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


**raising my hand** BYU wins in overtime, BYU's defense was dominating BSU, BYU would have won in overtime.

<<raising my hand too>>


I saw nothing to suggest we "win in overtime". Our d was lights out but if you don't think a Chris Peterson D does not adjust to Taysom in OT, you don't know him. At some point someone would've cracked maybe them maybe us. You score two you believe your D can stop BSU from getting even into FG range
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Call was one of those 50/50 calls that didn't turn out and now looks stupid. I enjoyed it right up until the ball hit the ground and no points awarded to BYU.
B
bcsbuster
Love the call. If they get it everyone on here is saying what a great call it was.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
W
Wolverine
If...
Y
Y 4 Ever
SpiffCoug wrote:
Y 4 Ever wrote:
You are all crazy. It was absolutely the right call. Raise your hand if you think byu would have won in ot. but at that point byu had the momentum and bsu was on their heals. When your offense has looked that completely and totally inept, but you have a chance to win the game, you take it. I have no problem with the decision to go for 2.



But the play they ran was stupid.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


**raising my hand** BYU wins in overtime, BYU's defense was dominating BSU, BYU would have won in overtime.

<<raising my hand too>>


Disagree 100%. Our o has not shown that they nearly enough mental toughness to win in ot. They would have choked the game away on penalties or turnovers. Going for two was the right call.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
KingCoug
Although I don't agree with it, Petersen said he would have gone for 2 as well. And they do always say to "go for the win" when you're playing away.
Advertisement
F
FurriousCougar
bcsbuster wrote:
Love the call. If they get it everyone on here is saying what a great call it was.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Uhhhhh. No. I'd be saying it was an awfully stupid call, but that I'm glad we got it. Just because something works out well doesn't make it a good decision.
S
SpiffCoug
KingCoug wrote:
Although I don't agree with it, Petersen said he would have gone for 2 as well. And they do always say to "go for the win" when you're playing away.

Yeah, after sitting on it for an hour, and given our offensive ineptitude. I think you go for two.



I change my vote.



If you convert it, now Boise has to open up and take chances on offense and maybe they make a mistake trying to force things.



We want aggressive offensive coaches. Right call, bad blocking.
C
Cougest
Y 4 Ever wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
You are all crazy. It was absolutely the right call. Raise your hand if you think byu would have won in ot. but at that point byu had the momentum and bsu was on their heals. When your offense has looked that completely and totally inept, but you have a chance to win the game, you take it. I have no problem with the decision to go for 2.



But the play they ran was stupid.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


**raising my hand** BYU wins in overtime, BYU's defense was dominating BSU, BYU would have won in overtime.

<<raising my hand too>>


Disagree 100%. Our o has not shown that they nearly enough mental toughness to win in ot. They would have choked the game away on penalties or turnovers. Going for two was the right call.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yet were stuck with a loss so.....was it really the right call? No way! However, not trying an onside kick when Boise didn't have a kicker they trusted and we had no time outs was just as bad!!!
Y
Y 4 Ever
SpiffCoug wrote:
Although I don't agree with it, Petersen said he would have gone for 2 as well. And they do always say to "go for the win" when you're playing away.

Yeah, after sitting on it for an hour, and given our offensive ineptitude. I think you go for two.



I change my vote.



If you convert it, now Boise has to open up and take chances on offense and maybe they make a mistake trying to force things.



We want aggressive offensive coaches. Right call, bad blocking.


EXACTLY. When your offense is stinking it up, but by some miracle you have a chance to take the lead late in the game, you go for it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BoiseBYU
SpiffCoug wrote:
Although I don't agree with it, Petersen said he would have gone for 2 as well. And they do always say to "go for the win" when you're playing away.

Yeah, after sitting on it for an hour, and given our offensive ineptitude. I think you go for two.



I change my vote.



If you convert it, now Boise has to open up and take chances on offense and maybe they make a mistake trying to force things.



We want aggressive offensive coaches. Right call, bad blocking.


The guy who blew up the play was the guy who had the pick six. He made a play when it was needed.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
KingCoug wrote:
Although I don't agree with it, Petersen said he would have gone for 2 as well. And they do always say to "go for the win" when you're playing away.

There certainly was merit for it. Here's my take... Bronco was caught up in the "emotion" of the game. Something we've wanted to see out of him for a while. We wanted to see some innovative play calling. Wanted to be unpredictable. He was providing all of that and I'm fine with trying to get the win. the offense just PLOWED over the last 20 yards of the field and BSU was guessing. Great time for the call but BSU had some players really step up in that final play.
M
mizzoucoug
You guys whining about the loss need to get some perspective. The season is over and it is over even if we win this horrible horrible game. This offense isn't doing anything against the meat of our schedule so what does a single win matter? It's going to be an ugly year.
F
FurriousCougar
Y 4 Ever wrote:
KingCoug wrote:
Although I don't agree with it, Petersen said he would have gone for 2 as well. And they do always say to "go for the win" when you're playing away.

Yeah, after sitting on it for an hour, and given our offensive ineptitude. I think you go for two.



I change my vote.



If you convert it, now Boise has to open up and take chances on offense and maybe they make a mistake trying to force things.



We want aggressive offensive coaches. Right call, bad blocking.


EXACTLY. When your offense is stinking it up, but by some miracle you have a chance to take the lead late in the game, you go for it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




Oh please, you can't count all the of the bad O that Nelson had and say that the offense was stinking it up and we wouldn't be able to score in OT. Taysom had 3 drives and scored a touchdown. And let's face it, I'd hardly say the one starting from our own goaline counted for much. Additionally, if anything, Boise should have been figuring out Taysom more and more with each drive, instead it was him who was getting more and more confidence and the extra edge.
C
cougman
SpiffCoug wrote:
Although I don't agree with it, Petersen said he would have gone for 2 as well. And they do always say to "go for the win" when you're playing away.

Yeah, after sitting on it for an hour, and given our offensive ineptitude. I think you go for two.



I change my vote.



If you convert it, now Boise has to open up and take chances on offense and maybe they make a mistake trying to force things.



We want aggressive offensive coaches. Right call, bad blocking.


But Taysom had just shown that he was completely capable of another score. Makes no sense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
FurriousCougar
BroncoBot wrote:
Although I don't agree with it, Petersen said he would have gone for 2 as well. And they do always say to "go for the win" when you're playing away.

There certainly was merit for it. Here's my take... Bronco was caught up in the "emotion" of the game. Something we've wanted to see out of him for a while. We wanted to see some innovative play calling. Wanted to be unpredictable. He was providing all of that and I'm fine with trying to get the win. the offense just PLOWED over the last 20 yards of the field and BSU was guessing. Great time for the call but BSU had some players really step up in that final play.




I'm sorry there was no merit for that. And see Bronco's emotion was the problem here. All the times that he needs to grow a pair and do something bold he doesn't. And the ONE time where he should finally play conservative like he normally does, is the ONE time he doesn't. I mean, go figure. Jeez.
Page 2 of 5
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.