Archived Topic

John Beck in Saints Camp

by snoscythe · 5/14/2013

Advertisement
S
snoscythe
That is, he's in their rookie minicamp looking for a shot. It's a long shot though--New Orleans already has 4 QBs under contract--Brees, Seneca Wallace, Luke McCown, and Ryan Griffin, so obviously John needs to impress enough to get them to drop someone else.....at age 31.



http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/09/saints-giving-duron-carter-john-beck-brian-schaefering-a-look/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Good luck John!



Also--Harvey Unga is also in a rookie minicamp with the Bears. Supposedly only getting third string reps even in the minicamp, but that may be because he's a bit of a known entity and the team wants to evaluate the others more closely.
Y
Y12
That Brees guy must be pushing 40. They should drop him for Beck. :crazy:
D
Ddawg
I wish John B. the best of luck. I've always felt he had more to offer and contribute to the NFL than he has.
F
frdbtr
I love John Beck. I've always hoped that it would click for him in the NFL. I don't think it will though. Becks problem is he thinks too much. The NFL is too fast of a game to think, you have to react on instinct.
C
Cougy_Monster
frdbtr wrote:
I love John Beck. I've always hoped that it would click for him in the NFL. I don't think it will though. Becks problem is he thinks too much. The NFL is too fast of a game to think, you have to react on instinct.


I'm also a huge John Beck fan. He was in my ward in Baltimore with Haloti Ngata during his stint with the Ravens. He's a great guy. Just friendly and played his part like everyone else -- you'd have no idea he was an NFL QB if you didn't follow football. And he loved to talk football, which was way fun.



He has a rocket arm. And he has overcome huge adversity during the Crowton years. His senior year he was a freakingmachine. Amazing. That game against TCU was a clinic on reading coverage and checking thru progressions. He was incredible. He had a similar performance against Oregon in the LV bowl.



I think he'd do really well in the NFL in the right circumstances where his supporting crew was up to par and he gained some confidence. Unfortunately he may just end up like Detmer -- always on the cusp of being an NFL starting QB but never given the right chance. And poor detmer....he finally got his chance with the eagles and led the league in passing through half the season before getting injured. Smh. Horrible luck.



Good luck Jo Beck!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Cougy_Monster wrote:
I love John Beck. I've always hoped that it would click for him in the NFL. I don't think it will though. Becks problem is he thinks too much. The NFL is too fast of a game to think, you have to react on instinct.


I'm also a huge John Beck fan. He was in my ward in Baltimore with Haloti Ngata during his stint with the Ravens. He's a great guy. Just friendly and played his part like everyone else -- you'd have no idea he was an NFL QB if you didn't follow football. And he loved to talk football, which was way fun.



He has a rocket arm. And he has overcome huge adversity during the Crowton years. His senior year he was a freakingmachine. Amazing. That game against TCU was a clinic on reading coverage and checking thru progressions. He was incredible. He had a similar performance against Oregon in the LV bowl.



I think he'd do really well in the NFL in the right circumstances where his supporting crew was up to par and he gained some confidence. Unfortunately he may just end up like Detmer -- always on the cusp of being an NFL starting QB but never given the right chance. And poor detmer....he finally got his chance with the eagles and led the league in passing through half the season before getting injured. Smh. Horrible luck.



Good luck Jo Beck!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Great post. John is a great guy! But don't feel too bad for John. While not attaining his goal of being a starting NFL qb, he has secured his future financially, gained lifetime insurance and benefits from the NFL (having been under contract for the minimum of six years) and he has his health, is young, ambitious, great wife and kids, and a lot of ambition to be successful in various ventures. And he secured at least a BYU hero/legacy status. Not a bad run.
C
Cougy_Monster
Cougs_Rule wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
I love John Beck. I've always hoped that it would click for him in the NFL. I don't think it will though. Becks problem is he thinks too much. The NFL is too fast of a game to think, you have to react on instinct.


I'm also a huge John Beck fan. He was in my ward in Baltimore with Haloti Ngata during his stint with the Ravens. He's a great guy. Just friendly and played his part like everyone else -- you'd have no idea he was an NFL QB if you didn't follow football. And he loved to talk football, which was way fun.



He has a rocket arm. And he has overcome huge adversity during the Crowton years. His senior year he was a freakingmachine. Amazing. That game against TCU was a clinic on reading coverage and checking thru progressions. He was incredible. He had a similar performance against Oregon in the LV bowl.



I think he'd do really well in the NFL in the right circumstances where his supporting crew was up to par and he gained some confidence. Unfortunately he may just end up like Detmer -- always on the cusp of being an NFL starting QB but never given the right chance. And poor detmer....he finally got his chance with the eagles and led the league in passing through half the season before getting injured. Smh. Horrible luck.



Good luck Jo Beck!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Great post. John is a great guy! But don't feel too bad for John. While not attaining his goal of being a starting NFL qb, he has secured his future financially, gained lifetime insurance and benefits from the NFL (having been under contract for the minimum of six years) and he has his health, is young, ambitious, great wife and kids, and a lot of ambition to be successful in various ventures. And he secured at least a BYU hero/legacy status. Not a bad run.




I totally agree. He is in a great position for a very productive post-NFL life. In Baltimore I was pretty much earning minimum wage as a post-doctoral fellow at Johns Hopkins Hospital and he was an NFL QB and we both lived in little apartments in the same suburb. So he and his wife were definitely not falling into the we-make-lots-of-money-now-and-we-will-never-run-out trap. I will forever be astounded at the number of professional athletes that end up filing for bankruptcy. So amazingly stupid -- and a huge burden to society having to pick up the bill for their bad debt. Maybe if the NFL were held responsible for ex-players' bad debt the league would actually take a motivated interest in their players' off-field decisions.



Since many of these enormous contracts are essentially like winning the lottery there should be an option for deferred payout just like the lottery. Players could accept $672,158 a year over the subsequent 20 years instead of a $10,000,000 payout now (assuming 3% interest). This could be the required payment plan for any NFLer who didn't graduate from college (providing some with incentive to stay for their senior year) and for anyone who is just obviously stupid :utard: .
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.