Archived Topic

All LDS Team

by scott715 · 1/22/2014

Advertisement
S
scott715
We got a lot of free time until next season. Let's build an All LDS-team. Here are the rules:



Had to be LDS when they left high school. No baptisms in college or after. LDS recruit

Pick based on college performance. No 5 star busts and no NFL late bloomers.



Throw out any nominations with their postion. Late in the year, we'll collect them and look at picking the team.
M
mormonrasta
scott715 wrote:
We got a lot of free time until next season. Let's build an All LDS-team. Here are the rules:



Had to be LDS when they left high school. No baptisms in college or after. LDS recruit

Pick based on college performance. No 5 star busts and no NFL late bloomers.



Throw out any nominations with their postion. Late in the year, we'll collect them and look at picking the team.


This is only worth doing if we just have guys from Arizona or played in the state of Arizona.



Quarterback- Danny White native, played for ASU.

Punter- Danny White he was a punter too.

RB- Whizzer White- Danny White's Dad.

FB- Dustin Johnson- From Arizona

Tight End- Todd Heap. Native played for ASU.

WR- Matt Allen from Peoria

T- John Tait- from Tempe

G- Edwin Mulitalo- played for Arizona

C- Steven Grace- played for Arizona

G- Manuia Savea- played on the same offensive line at AZ with Grace, Mulitalo, and Freitas. Why break up a cohesive unit that finished top 4 in the country?

T- Makota Freitas- played for Arizona

WR- Josh Weeks- I'm from the future. He'll be awesome.

DT Jordan Hill- played for ASU

DE Junior Ah You- ASU

DE Keoni Frasier- Arizona

LB- Marcus Bell- played for Arizona. Led the Pac-10 in tackles per game his senior year.

LB Spencer Larsen- twice led the Pac-10 in tackles. Arizona native. Played at Arizona.

LB Derek Smith- ASU

LB Brant Boyer- #7 on Arizona's all time badass list.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildaboutazcats/2011/10/25/no-7-on-the-arizona-wildcats-badass-list-brant-boyer-and-rob-gronkowski/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CB Ben Criddle- Went to seminary with his brother.

S Quinn Gooch- From Tucson.

FS and CB- Mo and Stewart Udall. Ok they were basketball players, but they could lay the wood.

PR/KR Vai Sikahema- From Mesa



No kicker needed.
S
SpiffCoug
QB: Steve Young

RB: Luke Staley

WR: Austin Collie

TE: Dennis Pitta, Todd Heap, Chad Lewis

OL: I'll take just the guys from AZ that rasta posted.



(Yeah, I'm running a triple TE formation w/ Staley)
C
Cougarbib
SpiffCoug wrote:
QB: Steve Young

RB: Luke Staley

WR: Austin Collie

TE: Dennis Pitta, Todd Heap, Chad Lewis

OL: I'll take just the guys from AZ that rasta posted.



(Yeah, I'm running a triple TE formation w/ Staley)




Gordon Hudson TE. Could add a few more TEs like Itulu Mili. Can we count Todd C? IDK since he played RB at BYU.



We could rattle off a few QBS including Detmer and McMahon for sure.



Many linebackers, OL, DL. A reasonably decent FB and Safety or 2.



A real shortage at RB and CB.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
Wasn't Gordon Hudson Catholic? Isn't that the line from McMahon-two Catholics had to connect on a hail mary to give BYU its first bowl win.
Advertisement
S
scott715
That was Clay Brown a Catholic. The mormon won the game with the kick.



Detmer is not eligible, he was not a member when he signed.
S
stuckinbig10country
I apologize for being a bad fan....I knew it was Clay Brown. I don't know why I was confused for a moment.
V
vancouvercougar
How about Haloti Ngata DL went to Oregon
S
stuckinbig10country
vancouvercougar wrote:
How about Haloti Ngata DL went to Oregon


Yeah, we probably shouldn't have forgotten a sure fire NFL hall of famer off the list.
J
jvquarterback
How do you think the all LDS team stacks up against the BYU all-nonmember team? If you're doing one you should do the other:



QB: McMahon with Detmer and Sarkisian backing up.

RB: JW with JW backing up.

WR: Hoffman and ?



I think this would be a great game but the all LDS team wins in the trenches.
Advertisement
M
mormonrasta
OK. If I expanded outside of the great state of Arizona, then my all LDS team would probably look like this.



QB- Steve Young- BYU

RB- Luke Staley- BYU

FB- Stanley Havili- USC

T- John Tait- BYU

G- Deuce Lutui- USC

C- Trevor Matich- BYU

G- Toniu Fonoti- Nebraska

T- Jordan Gross (He's LDS right?)- Utah; If not, I'm going with Ed Mulitalo- Arizona.

WR- Austin Collie- BYU

WR- Kevin Curtis- Utah St.

TE Todd Heap- ASU

P/K Lee Johnson- BYU



DL- Jason Buck- BYU

DL- Haloti Ngata- Oregon

DL- Star Lotulelei- Utah

DL- Merlin Olsen- Utah St.

LB- Manti Teo- Notre Dame

LB- Rob Morris- BYU

LB- Spencer Larsen- Arizona

S- Al Afalava- Oregon St.

S- Aaron Francisco- BYU

CB- Rex Berry- BYU

CB- Larry Wilson- Utah (I assume he is LDS. Isn't everybody from Rigby, ID LDS?)



KR/PR Vai Sikahema.
S
SpiffCoug
mormonrasta wrote:
DL- Jason Buck- BYU

DL- Haloti Ngata- Oregon

DL- Star Lotulelei- Utah

DL- Merlin Olsen- Utah St.

LB- Manti Teo- Notre Dame

LB- Rob Morris- BYU

LB- Spencer Larsen- Arizona

S- Al Afalava- Oregon St.

S- Aaron Francisco- BYU

CB- Rex Berry- BYU

CB- Larry Wilson- Utah (I assume he is LDS. Isn't everybody from Rigby, ID LDS?)



KR/PR Vai Sikahema.

Maybe KVN should be on here somewhere. But this defense would give up about 5 yards rushing. This would be a very stingy defense.
M
mormonrasta
SpiffCoug wrote:
DL- Jason Buck- BYU

DL- Haloti Ngata- Oregon

DL- Star Lotulelei- Utah

DL- Merlin Olsen- Utah St.

LB- Manti Teo- Notre Dame

LB- Rob Morris- BYU

LB- Spencer Larsen- Arizona

S- Al Afalava- Oregon St.

S- Aaron Francisco- BYU

CB- Rex Berry- BYU

CB- Larry Wilson- Utah (I assume he is LDS. Isn't everybody from Rigby, ID LDS?)



KR/PR Vai Sikahema.

Maybe KVN should be on here somewhere. But this defense would give up about 5 yards rushing. This would be a very stingy defense.


KVN would have made it if we played a 3-4. The other 3 LBs were more productive over the course of their careers.
S
Schmoe
Todd Heap over Chad Lewis, yeesh, you are an Arizona guy ;)
S
SpiffCoug
True, but weren't all three of your LBs middle backers? I'm not sure two of them could have played the outside and still be as effective covering that much ground.
Advertisement
S
scott715
How do you think the all LDS team stacks up against the BYU all-nonmember team? If you're doing one you should do the other:



QB: McMahon with Detmer and Sarkisian backing up.

RB: JW with JW backing up.

WR: Hoffman and ?



I think this would be a great game but the all LDS team wins in the trenches.


Let's start another thread for that.
M
mormonrasta
SpiffCoug wrote:
True, but weren't all three of your LBs middle backers? I'm not sure two of them could have played the outside and still be as effective covering that much ground.


Larsen was a WLB. I'd put Morris on the Strong Side. But if I had to replace any of those guys with KVN it wouldn't ruin my day.
S
SpiffCoug
mormonrasta wrote:
True, but weren't all three of your LBs middle backers? I'm not sure two of them could have played the outside and still be as effective covering that much ground.


Larsen was a WLB. I'd put Morris on the Strong Side. But if I had to replace any of those guys with KVN it wouldn't ruin my day.

Of course, KVN would be starting by game 3 as Morris would get hurt. ;)
M
mormonrasta
Schmoe wrote:
Todd Heap over Chad Lewis, yeesh, you are an Arizona guy ;)


The thing is I hate ASU more than I hate Utah. Unfortunately, Heap is the best LDS TE I've ever seen in College.
C
Cougarbib
Bart Oates

Merlin Olsen



I have talked to Bart a number of times when he visited my Ward on Pro Bowl weeks. So I know he is LDS. Just guessing on Merlin Olsen.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.