Archived Topic

Bronco or Whitt?

by hawkwing · 12/29/2014

Advertisement
A
AZman
Can neither one be an option? There are much better options than both these guys, even though Brady Poppinga would have you think otherwise. I voted Bronco though just because of his experience at BYU and that he does know coach fairly well (he just can't hire good coordinators for the life of him).
C
Cougs_Rule
Mods, can we cut out the turdito Ute trolls who clearly skew the voting?
S
Schmoe
AZman wrote:
Can neither one be an option? There are much better options than both these guys, even though Brady Poppinga would have you think otherwise. I voted Bronco though just because of his experience at BYU and that he does know coach fairly well (he just can't hire good coordinators for the life of him).


Would you feel inclined to name some of these better coaches who would supposedly fit BYU criteria and would actually coach at BYU?
B
birdie702
Ungoy wrote:
I want to know who voted for Whitt...

I did. What are you gonna do about it? Lol



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
birdie702
stuckinbig10country wrote:
Bronco would make a better bishop. KWhitt is a better coach. Lol



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


When BYU and Utah were in the same conference, the head to head was 3 to 3. Bronco had a better overall record in that conference, and BYU's average finish in the conference was higher. Whit being a better coach than Bronco is based off of one year in conference, and 3 games played between them out of conference.


KWhitt took his team to the BCS and won. Bronco didn't. KWhitt doesn't talk about undefeated and playing in the national championship...then chokes. Bronco does! KWHitt got the frUTEs better prepared to beat BYU while Bronco was too busy setting up firesides.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
Guest
birdie702 wrote:
birdie702 wrote:
Bronco would make a better bishop. KWhitt is a better coach. Lol



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


When BYU and Utah were in the same conference, the head to head was 3 to 3. Bronco had a better overall record in that conference, and BYU's average finish in the conference was higher. Whit being a better coach than Bronco is based off of one year in conference, and 3 games played between them out of conference.


KWhitt took his team to the BCS and won. Bronco didn't. KWhitt doesn't talk about undefeated and playing in the national championship...then chokes. Bronco does! KWHitt got the frUTEs better prepared to beat BYU while Bronco was too busy setting up firesides.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


KWhitt had a great year, when all of Urban's recruits were seniors. Got to give him some credit for that. Of course, he's not been able to replicate that success with his own recruits.



He also beats BYU effectively, and then loses to an inferior team every year without fail as well. It's almost as if he's too hyper focused on one game a year that he lets a gimme slide.
G
Guest
93% to 7% right now in favor of Bronco.
B
BoiseBYU
hawkwing wrote:
93% to 7% right now in favor of Bronco.


If we can just flip the bird, we will be at 100%!
B
Brayden Green
This is a tough one, not sure I can make a vote. Who is the better coach? I think that it is Whitt. Who I would rather have is probably Bronco, though admittedly not having anything else (besides lavell) I am probably partial to Bronco. I think that if you combined the best parts of each you would have an elite coach, but set apart both have glaring flaws.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Stirfry
hawkwing wrote:
Ddawg wrote:
I didn't vote - yet. It's actually a tough choice, depending on what your end goal is. I am a huge Bronco supporter. Is Bronco perfect? No. Is Bronco the "end all, be all"? No. But, he is good, very good, for BYU and the standards the school stands for.



By the same token, is K-Whit the "end all, be all"? No. He has chinks in his armor. Personally, I perceive K-Whit as a better recruiter. And, I think he hires more capable Assistants. He has not had the turmoil and turnover that Bronco has had in his staff - until now (The current kerfuffle is not K-Whit's doing, or fault - seemingly. Enter the AD Hill drama.)



That said, I am mindful of the fact that recruiting at Utah is a completely different ball game than BYU. Would K-Whit continue to recruit as well at BYU as he has done at Utah? I have my doubts.



That said - I would pick Bronco, with K-Whit as D-coord. I think the D would improve.


I have to disagree with you regarding the turmoil and turnover Bronco v. Kwitt. 8 OC's in 8 years is ridiculous. Sure BYU has lost position coaches and sure, few if any of their coaches have moved on to bigger and better jobs by position or prestige but I think 8 OC's in 8 years does not show stability in the least.



I agree with you on all other points.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID


I agree with Ammon on this one, other than picking up Kalani Sitake I can't think of a good hire that KWhitt has made.


My thoughts exactly. He had Sitake. Other than that he apparently doesn't think he can hire a decent OC, he hired a lawyer and sideline reporter as a coach, hired the youngest OC ever which also became the youngest OC to ever be fired, he's allowed Roderick to quit on him 2x's. As for recruiting, I don't think Whitt could do as well as Bronco at recruiting at BYU. Whitt takes shady recruits every single year (see the S.I. article about the lack of background checks in college football with the Utes as the main example.) Utah claims they believe in second chances (mostly as backhanded slap at BYU) but they believe in second chances a lot more than most programs. Now maybe Bronco couldn't recruit as well as Utah as Kyle. That's another discussion.



I would have a really difficult time supporting Whittingham as BYU's head coach. I don't think it would happen but if it did it would stretch my loyalty really thin. Bronco does things that don't make any sense (like icing the PAT) but every coach does things that don't make any sense.
Page 2 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.