Archived Topic

Projections for Wagner game

by vancouvercougar · 10/23/2015

Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
This game will be an obvious win for BYU, but what other things do you foretell?



I think we see a defensive score and a special teams score. I'm not sure Johnny Rugby gets on the field.
B
billbillbillbill
My first thought is Nate Carter will get a lot of carries...but that would probably eliminate your first prediction of Johnny Rugby not punting.
Y
Yzzazz
Don't know what we will see, but here's some things I'd like to see--especially if I paid money for a ticket to be in the stadium!



1. Hoge and Detmer getting a quarter each with a good mix of run and pass plays.

2. Johnny Rugby brought in at slot receiver running the hook and ladder in the first series of downs.

3. A direct snap to Alge Brown

4. Johnny Rubgy at QB running the Speed Option.

5. Lots of Trickeration practice!
F
Fido
The special teams unit is looking for a kick returner again with Garrett Juergens breaking his collarbone.
A
ABYUFAN
I'm "projecting" that Blackmon will get his first receiving touchdown as a Cougar. I also project that he will return a punt for a touchdown. Also, there will be people my age in the stands that will turn to their kids and say "back when I was your age, this is the point of the game that we'd start throwing tortillas onto the field"
Advertisement
V
vancouvercougar
ABYUFAN wrote:
I'm "projecting" that Blackmon will get his first receiving touchdown as a Cougar. I also project that he will return a punt for a touchdown. Also, there will be people my age in the stands that will turn to their kids and say "back when I was your age, this is the point of the game that we'd start throwing tortillas onto the field"


Not living in Utah and attending many games, I don't understand the tortillas reference. I've heard about it but don't remember why it was a big deal.
J
Jarhead
I'd like to see Hoge start this game. I'm not worried about losing this one, but I have this uneasy feeling about possible injuries to key starters in a game where the key starters are not needed.



I predict Carter will have a good running game in this one. 2 tds.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
billbillbillbill
Not living in Utah and attending many games, I don't understand the tortillas reference. I've heard about it but don't remember why it was a big deal.


I don't know if my experience is what they are referencing, but I remember as a student that it was a promotion from a tortilla company to hand bags of tortillas out to fans as they were arriving at the stadium. Some ate them and a lot threw them up in the air when we scored. I can't remember if it was pre or post mission but early 2000's is my time frame of being there.
R
redneckjedi
For the good of the program, I don't want to see Detmer in this game. He needs to keep his redshirt, so we don't wind up with 3 senior QBs at the same time in 3 years, or have one of them transfer. We need to have a pipeline like we used to have to elevate the program further.
A
ABYUFAN
vancouvercougar wrote:
I'm "projecting" that Blackmon will get his first receiving touchdown as a Cougar. I also project that he will return a punt for a touchdown. Also, there will be people my age in the stands that will turn to their kids and say "back when I was your age, this is the point of the game that we'd start throwing tortillas onto the field"


Not living in Utah and attending many games, I don't understand the tortillas reference. I've heard about it but don't remember why it was a big deal.

Late 80's early 90's we'd make a practice of flinging tortillas around the stadium when there was a score. It was established before I got there. Here's an online discussion of it, so take it for what it's worth...

http://www.cougarstadium.com/archive/index.php/t-28473.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Advertisement
F
Fido
There are stories as late as 2002 pleading for the tortilla hurling to stop. They start out flying like a frisbee--but since they aren't solidly flat, they end up turning, dipping, and zooming all over. Basically it was a noteworthy feat if you could get it to soar more than 20 rows or so. But I haven't seen it for quite a while. I even saw a story where UTEP was upset because they thought the tortilla throwing was racial taunting towards their players. :)
S
Stirfry
Touchdown tortillas!



My brother tried starting it up again in the late 90's. They'd sneak them in and pass them out. A security guy under the south video board used binoculars to spot him and he was escorted out.



After a promise to stop they let him back in the game.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
V
vancouvercougar
I would like to see another defensive performance similar to our manhandling of Savannah State last year. Maybe less than 100 yards total offense.



Do we have any new running backs that haven't seen action yet?
S
Screamineagle
Fido wrote:
There are stories as late as 2002 pleading for the tortilla hurling to stop. They start out flying like a frisbee--but since they aren't solidly flat, they end up turning, dipping, and zooming all over. Basically it was a noteworthy feat if you could get it to soar more than 20 rows or so. But I haven't seen it for quite a while. I even saw a story where UTEP was upset because they thought the tortilla throwing was racial taunting towards their players. :)

I was in the MTC in 1984 and got to go to the UTEP game while there.There were Tortillas at that game and cow bells.What happened to the cowbells? So the tortilla tradition went on for a while.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.