Archived Topic

Firesides: Likely Going Away.

by stuckinbig10country · 2/4/2016

Advertisement
B
BlueK
hawkwing wrote:
The program survived without firesides, I think it will be a loss to lose them, but in the end BYU will be just fine.



I really hope they keep the Thursday's Hero program though.


I went to a fireside in Dallas held the Sunday before the Cotton Bowl. Granted, it was a bowl game and the team was in town for several days before the game. I know it wasn't the night before the game anyway. I know Lavell did them sometimes.
A
ABYUFAN
I was wondering if we are going to do away with "Tradition Spirit Honor" on the field and "Band of Brothers" too, those are Bronco inventions and as much as I like them, I liked firesides better.
G
Guest
ABYUFAN wrote:
I was wondering if we are going to do away with "Tradition Spirit Honor" on the field and "Band of Brothers" too, those are Bronco inventions and as much as I like them, I liked firesides better.

Yeah, I've always found it kind of funny how certain LaVell era guys (Derek Stevenson) have jumped all over the Band of Brothers mantra, yet do not include the instigator of it in the brotherhood.
G
Gunk
I suspect BYU doesn't have a monopoly on the term Band of Brothers. There's a popular WW2 drama named Band of Brothers and I wouldn't be surprised at all if other teams use the term to promote team work, etc. It just takes on a slightly different/greater meaning at BYU since church members call each other "brother" and "sister."



That said, I highly doubt Sitake keeps it. He'll want his own identity.



Frankly, I grew tired of the Bronco slogans. Band of Brothers was different since it was more of an internal/team slogan, but I hope Sitake doesn't adopt the habit of coming up with catchy slogans like "Quest for Perfection." The only slogan Sitake needs is "Win." He could also go with "Football is 3rd."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
I actually believe that Band of Brothers is the only true slogan developed by Bronco Mendenhall. The rest were dreamed up by the marketing department and thrust on the football/athletic program. I won't be surprised to see them continue.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
hawkwing wrote:
I actually believe that Band of Brothers is the only true slogan developed by Bronco Mendenhall. The rest were dreamed up by the marketing department and thrust on the football/athletic program. I won't be surprised to see them continue.


Tradition, Spirit, Honor was a Bronco implementation per his book "Running Into the Wind".
G
Guest
snoscythe wrote:
I actually believe that Band of Brothers is the only true slogan developed by Bronco Mendenhall. The rest were dreamed up by the marketing department and thrust on the football/athletic program. I won't be surprised to see them continue.


Tradition, Spirit, Honor was a Bronco implementation per his book "Running Into the Wind".


Great point. I had forgotten about that. Those 2 are the only really permanent, long term slogans BYU football has used. The rest have been yearly marketing department slogans.
S
Schmoe
Gunk wrote:
He could also go with "Football is 3rd."


I'd like to know which of family, faith, and education gets put below football.
U
urroner
Another slogan Sitake needs to approve is "Beat the Living Sh^t Out of Utah." :whistle:
S
Stirfry
urroner wrote:
Another slogan Sitake needs to approve is "Beat the Living Sh^t Out of Utah." :whistle:


As long as that's not put on an oversized tee shirt worn under our uniforms so we look like a bunch of slobs I'm down with it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
Guest
Gunk wrote:
Frankly, I grew tired of the Bronco slogans. Band of Brothers was different since it was more of an internal/team slogan, but I hope Sitake doesn't adopt the habit of coming up with catchy slogans like "Quest for Perfection." The only slogan Sitake needs is "Win." He could also go with "Football is 3rd."



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Sitake read this post and turned and said, "Bring it on."
D
Ddawg
Agree about the slogans - let them go. No catchy marketing hype. No fluff. Just hard-nose, smash-mouth football. If the guys want a team slogan - so be it. Keep it in house. The team deserves personal stuff they don't share. It's team building and camaraderie bonding.
B
BOID
urroner wrote:
Another slogan Sitake needs to approve is "Beat the Living Sh^t Out of Utah." :whistle:


I gotta say, this made my day. :lol:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
Hah, the point is that despite some people thinking that the slogans were going away there's already been a new one announced for this year.
B
BoiseBYU
Maybe they could take the lead of the curch curriculum department and as it rotates lessons every four years, rotate slogans: Year 1 Rise and Shout! Year 2 Honor Tradition and Spirit!, Year 3 Band of Brothers, Year 4 Luau! and then repeat....
Page 3 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.