Archived Topic

2016 Poinsettia Bowl

by Ddawg · 12/21/2016

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
SpiffCoug wrote:
Our passing game still sucks. If we don't get our receivers fixed in the off season, next year will be a very long year.

Reinforces the reasons why Taysom was never benched. There was more wrong with the offense this year than QB play.


I agree, it has been my position all year. If Tanner was the fix to the problem, he would have played. We need better Oline play and receiver play. If these problems don't get fixed we are going to lose a lot of games next year.
S
SpiffCoug
Yep.
F
frdbtr
Yeah, that's a cheap shot.
B
BoiseBYU
We did win the game, yes? WY was a good team this year. They beat BSU and SDSU. Weather contributed to the game being sloppy. This is a good win.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
BoiseBYU wrote:
We did win the game, yes? WY was a good team this year. They beat BSU and SDSU. Weather contributed to the game being sloppy. This is a good win.


We did win the game and I'm happy about that. My thoughts were based on what needs to happen next year when we don't have an NFL running back running around in the other teams secondary, and a QB who has the ability to dominate games with his legs. Next year we want to win games on Tanner Mangum's arm and without receivers who can catch the ball or an Oline who can sustain blocks in the passing game, we are going to struggle to win games.
E
EM_Puma
frdbtr wrote:
We did win the game, yes? WY was a good team this year. They beat BSU and SDSU. Weather contributed to the game being sloppy. This is a good win.


We did win the game and I'm happy about that. My thoughts were based on what needs to happen next year when we don't have an NFL running back running around in the other teams secondary, and a QB who has the ability to dominate games with his legs. Next year we want to win games on Tanner Mangum's arm and without receivers who can catch the ball or an Oline who can sustain blocks in the passing game, we are going to struggle to win games.


Oh, we'll see. I expect the usual above average team that will go to an "also ran" bowl game.



I will say that I was disappointed in Tanner Mangum. He made some foolish decisions and I understand that he didn't play that much this season, but that's just an excuse that can be used to explain the lack of better timing with receivers, but not for his 1) interception (what the heck went through his mind to send up a floater like that); 2) his "pinball bumper" TD pass; and 3) taking a large sack on the play late in the game.



While Squally might not exactly equal Jamall, I think we'll be okay. I can't image getting worse with the receiving corp as NO ONE stood out this season period. That's an unusual experience at BYU. I don't perceive the OL will be worse than this year either.



Next season our tough games will be: Utah, Boise St, Wisconsin, Mississippi St and LSU, but I do like seeing the likes of those schools on our schedule.
S
SpiffCoug
Tanner also made some good decisions. He went through several reads before tucking and diving into the end zone for the opening TD.



Instead of taking a sack in the 2nd quarter, he threw the ball at Balderee's back.



It did feel like a few times this season (Arizona, Wyoming and even Boise to an extent), Detmer thought the game was over and they had a firm grip on it and he went uber-conservative in play calling.
S
snoscythe
I think taking that sack in the 4th quarter was one of the smartest decisions Mangum made all game. What else would you have him do in that situation with that play call? Run out of bounds and stop the clock? Throw it away and stop the clock? Try to force a throw with no open receiver and risk a pick within field goal range? Or take the sack and force Wyoming to use their last timeout?



Yeah, sacks are bad, but given the play call and coverage, it was the best choice he could have made.
J
Jarhead
snoscythe wrote:
I think taking that sack in the 4th quarter was one of the smartest decisions Mangum made all game. What else would you have him do in that situation with that play call? Run out of bounds and stop the clock? Throw it away and stop the clock? Try to force a throw with no open receiver and risk a pick within field goal range? Or take the sack and force Wyoming to use their last timeout?



Yeah, sacks are bad, but given the play call and coverage, it was the best choice he could have made.


I think taking the sack was the right decision and exactly what Detmer wanted him to do in that situation. I agree with the announcers that the play call was subpar. Don't run a play with the potential to lose so many yards.
Advertisement
J
Jarhead
Detmer has had his mulligan year. The offense needs to take some big strides forward next year or there is going to be a lot more criticism headed his way. It's his responsibility to fix the offensive issues. If the passing offense is still this bad Tanner's senior year, I will probably be joining in that criticism.



I am still very hopeful that we will see a good offense soon.
S
scott715
From Hans Olsen

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=17125100



Here's a look at what BYU did well and where they need to improve.



Fred Warner and this LB crew will be BYU's strongest group next year.



Tanner has work to do, but has all the tools to make him great.



Mike Empey and his Oline were the biggest and best surprise for me this season.



BYU football is on the climb!



http://www.1280thezone.com/film-study-kalani-sitake-achieves-much-with-bowl-win-over-wyoming/
F
frdbtr
Hans did a good job of showing what I thought I was seeing in the game. Couple things I took away from his analysis, which is what I have been saying all year. The Oline needs improvement in pass blocking, they were getting hits on Tanner in play action plays all night. He said Tanner is the future but needs to improve and was not the answer to BYU's passing problems. He said #1 position group that needs improvement is the WR's, he showed Moroni drop a ball that hit him in the facemask. Maybe it had too much mustard on it, maybe the ball was slick but this has been a problem all year with our receivers. They need to improve.
B
BoiseBYU
Poinsettia bowl had a higher ESPN audience than BSU's cactus bowl
Advertisement
S
scott715
Sweet Boise.
Page 2 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.