Archived Topic

Question-Former Y player

by scott715 · 4/26/2013

Advertisement
S
scott715
Went to the NFL and didn't like the locker room atmosphere so he quit. Who wa it?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
N
nuk13
I think it may have been Evan Pilgrim. I think he went to the Raiders but didn't want to play on the Sabbath. I think he went in the first round.
V
vancouvercougar
nuk13 wrote:
I think it may have been Evan Pilgrim. I think he went to the Raiders but didn't want to play on the Sabbath. I think he went in the first round.


Pilgrim played in 32 NFL games over 6 seasons.
S
snoscythe
Andrew Rich.
S
scott715
That was who I was thinking.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
vancouvercougar wrote:
I think it may have been Evan Pilgrim. I think he went to the Raiders but didn't want to play on the Sabbath. I think he went in the first round.


Pilgrim played in 32 NFL games over 6 seasons.


It wasn't Pilgrim who refused NFL $500K due to Sunday play. Who was that guy? I think he ended up coaching at a local high school as a position coach - not sure what developed for him after that.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Eli Herring. HS teacher and football coach. Former Bp, now counselor in a Stake Presidency in Orem. One of the good guys!
1
1967cougar
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Eli Herring. HS teacher and football coach. Former Bp, now counselor in a Stake Presidency in Orem. One of the good guys!

Yep. Google his name and you get a ton of stories about his decision. I have used him for years as an example to my Priests who all want to be the next Steve Young or Jimmer and contemplate foregoing a mission to develop their sports abilities. I live in Hurricane! C'mon guys. There ain't no such thing as national sports potential in this berg! I don't think Pres, Herring ever goes to sleep at night having regretted the choice he made. And I salute him for the courage it must have taken.
N
nuk13
I remember the incident but obviously not which guy. I'd love to talk to the byu nfl players but I'd rather talk to President Herring. There is a world outside of fame and fortune. I will still admire and cheer for pro cougars and other LDS atheletes but no more than these who see something else as their callings.
H
HoosierCougar
I was an EQP in Eli Herring's stake in Orem when he was in his first year teaching after foregoing the NFL $$. It was a deeply personal choice and I think a difficult one.



I felt bad because everyone in the Stake made a huge deal about it all the time. For a guy who decided to do "the right thing" for himself and not pursue the money, fame, worldy success, he was getting put up on a pedastal to be honored/followed and my perception is that it made him uncomfortable.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Didn't Harvey Unga say the same thing...
S
snoscythe
Gunk wrote:
Didn't Harvey Unga say the same thing...


Yeah, but then he kept showing up to camps and getting cut, which evidenced something else going on.
S
Stirfry
snoscythe wrote:
Didn't Harvey Unga say the same thing...


Yeah, but then he kept showing up to camps and getting cut, which evidenced something else going on.

Where is Harvey now? Was it last year that he left camp for family issues again? It seems like he was still on the Bears practice squad last year.
S
scott715
That's what I thought.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
Stirfry wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Didn't Harvey Unga say the same thing...


Yeah, but then he kept showing up to camps and getting cut, which evidenced something else going on.

Where is Harvey now? Was it last year that he left camp for family issues again? It seems like he was still on the Bears practice squad last year.


He was actually on the active roster for a game or two at the end of the season after they lost their 3rd or 4th RB to injury. No snaps though.
C
CrimsonCoug
Didn't Cameron "the General" Jensen do something similar? (similar to Rich, not to Unga)
Y
Y12
CrimsonCoug wrote:
Didn't Cameron "the General" Jensen do something similar? (similar to Rich, not to Unga)


If all this is true (3 players quit because of the locker room atmosphere), then that could explain A LOT about why BYU guys aren't being drafted anymore.



I didn't know about Jensen or Unga. I thought Rich was an isolated incident, but if this has happened multiple times, then I can understand why NFL execs don't want to use draft picks on BYU players when they can't be counted on to stick with it, no matter what.
C
Cougarbib
Y12 wrote:
Didn't Cameron "the General" Jensen do something similar? (similar to Rich, not to Unga)


If all this is true (3 players quit because of the locker room atmosphere), then that could explain A LOT about why BYU guys aren't being drafted anymore.



I didn't know about Jensen or Unga. I thought Rich was an isolated incident, but if this has happened multiple times, then I can understand why NFL execs don't want to use draft picks on BYU players when they can't be counted on to stick with it, no matter what.


These were all NFL Bubble players re talent level. I doubt any NFL teams are viewing any of these guys as highly draftable players that would likely have been great contributors but for them nit liking the bawdy locker room environment.



BYU needs a few more highly touted recruits each year if BYU wants to see more players drafted. The NFL had evolved to be dominated by African Americans. BYU has a shortage of those and nowgets much more competition for the Polynesian recruits. White guys still make it big at QB and a fair number of white linemen, linebackers, safeties, and tight ends make it but African Americans dominate at RB, WR, and CB and more than hold their own everwhere but QB.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Cougarbib wrote:
CrimsonCoug wrote:
Didn't Cameron "the General" Jensen do something similar? (similar to Rich, not to Unga)


If all this is true (3 players quit because of the locker room atmosphere), then that could explain A LOT about why BYU guys aren't being drafted anymore.



I didn't know about Jensen or Unga. I thought Rich was an isolated incident, but if this has happened multiple times, then I can understand why NFL execs don't want to use draft picks on BYU players when they can't be counted on to stick with it, no matter what.


These were all NFL Bubble players re talent level. I doubt any NFL teams are viewing any of these guys as highly draftable players that would likely have been great contributors but for them not liking the bawdy locker room environment.



BYU needs a few more highly touted recruits each year if BYU wants to see more players drafted. The NFL has evolved to be dominated by African Americans. BYU has a shortage of those and now gets much more competition for the Polynesian recruits. White guys still make it big at QB and a fair number of white linemen, linebackers, safeties, and tight ends make it but African Americans dominate at RB, WR, and CB and more than hold their own everywhere but QB.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.