N
NDCougarhawkwing wrote:BoiseBYU wrote:It's usually tickets distributed - to include those sold and those given to other groups (youth, etc.)
So even if you reduce by 10,000, I think my statement still stands.
Filling only 2/3 a stadium is very weak. Especially considering the size of the student body and ticket prices. Definitely very different than the top tier guys. It is sad how much things have changed.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ]http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Actually this is a very common occurrence for many of the top tier teams. Attendance is down across the country.
Examples? BYU has a huge student body, they have UVU and have been able to fill the stadium in the past. Attendance may be down across the country, but BYU should not have the issues that warm weather team has or a team with a small student body. Generally across the board stadiums for big time teams are still filling up, BYU has had notably more open seats (even before the weaknesses revealed themselves).
Michigan is having issues because the program has lost its luster, if it had an excited fan base it would sell out. BYU used to sell out too, but some of the luster is off, add on a bad/weak home schedule and to be blunt over the past decade Utah has cut into the BYU fan domination......Utah had great years, won BCS games, joined the PAC 12 and BYU has UVA as its highest quality home game. I do not live in Utah but grew up there, when I go home I am shocked at the swing in support Utah has received vs when I moved out years ago and even compared to trips to Utah a decade ago. BYU has taken a hit and to be blunt some of the excitement is out. It is exemplified every time Utah wins and has a good season.
I am not saying to fire Bronco as there are no better alternatives, but this glut is why coaches lose their jobs. They may win but if the fan base and alums lose interest a change is made. The university often times wants excitement infused in the program, they want to see hope and when this happens you sell seats. Winning is the ultimate driver of attendance, but being just being solid causes teams to move on. Athletic departments need to make money, football is the cash cow and excitement drives revenues. I don't think BYU is short-sighted, but if a better alternative comes up to Bronco it is something that will cross those in powers minds.

