Archived Topic

Bronco or Whitt?

by hawkwing · 12/29/2014

Advertisement
G
Guest
I had a debate the other day with someone who claimed that the majority of BYU fans would rather have Kyle Whittingham as head coach than Bronco Mendenhall. I'd like to put it to a scientific poll to see. Please invite any BYU fan you know to take part in this poll so that we can have a big turnout.



This is a straight vote, no "with this condition" or anything. Just Kyle or Bronco.
S
scott715
I wish Kyle had come on 10 years ago with Bronco as the DC. Utah might still be in the MWC if that had happened and BYU might have had a special season in there.
C
Cougs_Rule
I would be extremely surprized if Bronco receives less than 90% favorable vote.

This almost seems like a duh question driven by either a bitter or rancorous, vocal (to you) fan or one who "lacks education" about BYU and the game. ;-)

Or worse, driven by media as Brady P is suggesting.
C
Cougs_Rule
scott715 wrote:
I wish Kyle had come on 10 years ago with Bronco as the DC. Utah might still be in the MWC if that had happened and BYU might have had a special season in there.


Or even better, gotten more jacked for the rivalry game and not just treated it as another game.

But even so, I can't imagine those two on the same staff. Especally two D minded coaches with different philosophies. It would have been a short lived arrangement. Maybe even a disaster ala Reynolds/Anae.

But why want a guy who didn't want BYU? Just say no to Whitt.
D
Ddawg
I didn't vote - yet. It's actually a tough choice, depending on what your end goal is. I am a huge Bronco supporter. Is Bronco perfect? No. Is Bronco the "end all, be all"? No. But, he is good, very good, for BYU and the standards the school stands for.



By the same token, is K-Whit the "end all, be all"? No. He has chinks in his armor. Personally, I perceive K-Whit as a better recruiter. And, I think he hires more capable Assistants. He has not had the turmoil and turnover that Bronco has had in his staff - until now (The current kerfuffle is not K-Whit's doing, or fault - seemingly. Enter the AD Hill drama.)



That said, I am mindful of the fact that recruiting at Utah is a completely different ball game than BYU. Would K-Whit continue to recruit as well at BYU as he has done at Utah? I have my doubts.



That said - I would pick Bronco, with K-Whit as D-coord. I think the D would improve.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
This is a no-brainer: You choose the classy guy that wants to be at BYU and whose teams end up ranked more often.
A
AmmonCougar1
Ddawg wrote:
I didn't vote - yet. It's actually a tough choice, depending on what your end goal is. I am a huge Bronco supporter. Is Bronco perfect? No. Is Bronco the "end all, be all"? No. But, he is good, very good, for BYU and the standards the school stands for.



By the same token, is K-Whit the "end all, be all"? No. He has chinks in his armor. Personally, I perceive K-Whit as a better recruiter. And, I think he hires more capable Assistants. He has not had the turmoil and turnover that Bronco has had in his staff - until now (The current kerfuffle is not K-Whit's doing, or fault - seemingly. Enter the AD Hill drama.)



That said, I am mindful of the fact that recruiting at Utah is a completely different ball game than BYU. Would K-Whit continue to recruit as well at BYU as he has done at Utah? I have my doubts.



That said - I would pick Bronco, with K-Whit as D-coord. I think the D would improve.


I have to disagree with you regarding the turmoil and turnover Bronco v. Kwitt. 8 OC's in 8 years is ridiculous. Sure BYU has lost position coaches and sure, few if any of their coaches have moved on to bigger and better jobs by position or prestige but I think 8 OC's in 8 years does not show stability in the least.



I agree with you on all other points.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
G
Guest
AmmonCougar1 wrote:
I didn't vote - yet. It's actually a tough choice, depending on what your end goal is. I am a huge Bronco supporter. Is Bronco perfect? No. Is Bronco the "end all, be all"? No. But, he is good, very good, for BYU and the standards the school stands for.



By the same token, is K-Whit the "end all, be all"? No. He has chinks in his armor. Personally, I perceive K-Whit as a better recruiter. And, I think he hires more capable Assistants. He has not had the turmoil and turnover that Bronco has had in his staff - until now (The current kerfuffle is not K-Whit's doing, or fault - seemingly. Enter the AD Hill drama.)



That said, I am mindful of the fact that recruiting at Utah is a completely different ball game than BYU. Would K-Whit continue to recruit as well at BYU as he has done at Utah? I have my doubts.



That said - I would pick Bronco, with K-Whit as D-coord. I think the D would improve.


I have to disagree with you regarding the turmoil and turnover Bronco v. Kwitt. 8 OC's in 8 years is ridiculous. Sure BYU has lost position coaches and sure, few if any of their coaches have moved on to bigger and better jobs by position or prestige but I think 8 OC's in 8 years does not show stability in the least.



I agree with you on all other points.



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID


I agree with Ammon on this one, other than picking up Kalani Sitake I can't think of a good hire that KWhitt has made.
N
nuk13
Before the onside kick against Wyoming when up 50-0 I might have voted maybe but not now no way. I didn't particularly like him before but that moment sucked out any "might have" from me. I want a good coach but one with more integrity than that. I don't see BM doing that even against utah. Where did this guy get this idea?
G
Guest
Cougs_Rule wrote:
I would be extremely surprized if Bronco receives less than 90% favorable vote.

This almost seems like a duh question driven by either a bitter or rancorous, vocal (to you) fan or one who "lacks education" about BYU and the game. ;-)

Or worse, driven by media as Brady P is suggesting.


You say that, but the person I talked to guaranteed me it would be 90% for KWhitt.
Advertisement
A
AmmonCougar1
hawkwing wrote:
I would be extremely surprized if Bronco receives less than 90% favorable vote.

This almost seems like a duh question driven by either a bitter or rancorous, vocal (to you) fan or one who "lacks education" about BYU and the game. ;-)

Or worse, driven by media as Brady P is suggesting.


You say that, but the person I talked to guaranteed me it would be 90% for KWhitt.


Maybe if you put this poll out to those who post a lot on CB you would get a different result. It's strange to me how different the 'feel' of CB and CC are. Thank you to all who make this environment a more friendly open discussion type place. Cougarcorner is truly a great place to visit, post and read!



Go Cougs!!!

J. Child

Ammon, ID
U
Ungoy
No way I want to see Whitt coach BYU. I can't stand him. He changed loyalties a long time ago, and the lack of respect he has shown to his alma mater has been appalling.



No way I want to follow up a huge win over a rival with laying an egg the following week.
A
ABYUFAN
People forget that one of the first things Bronco did as the head coach was recruit Lavell to call in some favors with Nike to get our old uniforms back; and although many think that he should have tried arder to get the old (but not too old) blue back, what he did (especially at the 11th hour) to get us back to looking like BYU will always hold a special place in my heart. If there were no Bronco, I don't know where we'd be look wise, but I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be good.



As far as the other stuff goes, Bronco has a talent to say things that make Utes mad, and can be made to sound stupid by people who are predisposed not to like him about the same as Whittingham does (i.e. "we're sackless")



Whittingham does better head to head, but also losses quite a bit after beating BYU which leads one to wonder how much focus BYU has and if it's healthy for their team to be that insanely focused. Bronco has a better record overall, but Whitingham's been hampered by haveing better quality oponants for the last little bit, but I think that Bronco had a better records against similar oponents when they played similar oponents, which again, leads one to beleive that Whittingham's obsession with beating BYU might be holding his team back some.



10 years ago, I'd have been fine had one of our own "come home" to coach us, but at this point too much water has passed under that bridge; as I beleive Schmore said in a different thread, if by some stupid twist of fate, Whittingham became our head coach, I'd be a huge BYU basketball fan, and become completely indifferent to the football program, and it kills me to say that.
U
Ungoy
I want to know who voted for Whitt...
G
Guest
I'm not sure I would renew my season tickets if Whitt were coaching.
Advertisement
S
Screamineagle
BRONCO.
S
stuckinbig10country
I've said this on twitter, but I think I'd stop being a BYU fan if I found out someone was interviewing for Bronco's job while he still had it. I got blasted saying it's common business practice, and even the church does it, but I think it's completely bush league.



I'm not saying employers don't need to be prepared with a potentials list, or plans, or an idea of what they're looking for in a replacement of any of their employees, I just find it completely classless to interview for a job that isn't technically open.
B
birdie702
Bronco would make a better bishop. KWhitt is a better coach. Lol



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
stuckinbig10country
birdie702 wrote:
Bronco would make a better bishop. KWhitt is a better coach. Lol



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


When BYU and Utah were in the same conference, the head to head was 3 to 3. Bronco had a better overall record in that conference, and BYU's average finish in the conference was higher. Whit being a better coach than Bronco is based off of one year in conference, and 3 games played between them out of conference.
J
jdj4554
Whitt!
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.