Archived Topic

We are about to see how good of a coach we just lost

by frdbtr · 12/6/2015

Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Bronco Mendenhall is a coach BYU had that we did not deserve. The only black mark on his record is his record against the utes. He is a terrific coach and UVA is going to learn that soon. BYU fans who are celebrating this are going to be wishing he was still here when we are not able to hire a replacement that is half the coach that he is. The only candidate that would have me feeling comfortable about a replacement would be Andy Reid and he is not coming to BYU.
K
KingCoug
frdbtr wrote:
Bronco Mendenhall is a coach BYU had that we did not deserve. The only black mark on his record is his record against the utes. He is a terrific coach and UVA is going to learn that soon. BYU fans who are celebrating this are going to be wishing he was still here when we are not able to hire a replacement that is half the coach that he is. The only candidate that would have me feeling comfortable about a replacement would be Andy Reid and he is not coming to BYU.


Two things.



That's nice you have a crystal ball.



And it's hard to overstate just HOW BIG of a black mark Bronco's record against the Utes was. I realize there are some fans who convinced themselves that it didn't matter that much but they're imbeciles.



Bronco could have also done better against ranked/BCS/P5 teams. Especially on the big stage when it really counted. Like in 2009 when we're playing TCU in Provo and College Game Day is there. :whistle:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
McY
I am one of those imbeciles, but as those close to me would say, tell us something we don't already know. I would have much preferred a better record against Utah, but Bronco was a fabulous coach. I wish he was staying a little longer, but good for him on the tiny raise and new opportunity.
B
BoiseBYU
KingCoug wrote:
Bronco Mendenhall is a coach BYU had that we did not deserve. The only black mark on his record is his record against the utes. He is a terrific coach and UVA is going to learn that soon. BYU fans who are celebrating this are going to be wishing he was still here when we are not able to hire a replacement that is half the coach that he is. The only candidate that would have me feeling comfortable about a replacement would be Andy Reid and he is not coming to BYU.


Two things.



That's nice you have a crystal ball.



And it's hard to overstate just HOW BIG of a black mark Bronco's record against the Utes was. I realize there are some fans who convinced themselves that it didn't matter that much but they're imbeciles.



Bronco could have also done better against ranked/BCS/P5 teams. Especially on the big stage when it really counted. Like in 2009 when we're playing TCU in Provo and College Game Day is there. :whistle:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I have no knowledge why Bronco is leaving. I'm sure in any event he won't miss the likes of people such as yourself. Bronco was a great coach. I will miss him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Wrong. I got news for all of you.

1. There are unsavory, malcontent fans in every town.

2. Media is carp everywhere. Once they turn on you its hard to get them back, except for the homers and a few others.

3. There are unsavory and malcontent donors, who after two or three years and some losses, losses to rivals, etc, and they turn and start to put pressure on ADs and Presidents.

4. Bronco hates all of the above and started barely dealing with all of these inn he last few years.

5. Bronco is a very private guy and he doesn't like publicity, nor the the praise that can come and even worse, the blame.

6. If he experiences failure, there will also be religious bigotry and folks telling him to go back to BYU.

7. It's most likely only a matter of time before Bronco can't deal with all these negative things at UVA and pulls his golden parachute and hangs up his clipboard, complete with "done money" and retires to his quiet ranch in Alpine where he has a half baked legacy that he abandoned for a big pay off (I don't blame him for this).

Mark my words.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
KingCoug wrote:
Bronco Mendenhall is a coach BYU had that we did not deserve. The only black mark on his record is his record against the utes. He is a terrific coach and UVA is going to learn that soon. BYU fans who are celebrating this are going to be wishing he was still here when we are not able to hire a replacement that is half the coach that he is. The only candidate that would have me feeling comfortable about a replacement would be Andy Reid and he is not coming to BYU.


Two things.



That's nice you have a crystal ball.



And it's hard to overstate just HOW BIG of a black mark Bronco's record against the Utes was. I realize there are some fans who convinced themselves that it didn't matter that much but they're imbeciles.



Bronco could have also done better against ranked/BCS/P5 teams. Especially on the big stage when it really counted. Like in 2009 when we're playing TCU in Provo and College Game Day is there. :whistle:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Do I need a crystal ball to recognize a good coach when I see one? We have a perfect example of what happens when an unproven coach follows a really good proven head coach when Lavell retired. Everyone was ecstatic about Crowton, I heard some guys saying Lavell would never have been 12-0 in 2001 that Crowton was the second coming of the Lord, and then he had a losing record from that time on coupled with 2 huge and embarrassing sex scandals. Looking at the current pool of coaches that meet the BYU criteria, I am very underwhelmed. At best we get someone with "potential" to lead the team through the toughest, on paper, schedules in the history of the school. I will be rooting for the new guy to succeed as hard as I rooted for Bronco but IMO, we are about to see some tough times at BYU because we underappreciated a very good head coach that won a lot of games for us with recruiting restrictions put in place by the BOT after the 2004 sex scandals. Bronco had just been given some platitudes on recruiting to get guys that were more questionable and was trusted to deal with them. The new guy will not get that until he proves he can manage guys and not have any scandals.
S
scott715
I am sorry to see him go and fearful for the future. Let's win the bowl game. Get Bronco win #100, 10 win season and a top 25 ranking.
K
KingCoug
frdbtr wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Bronco Mendenhall is a coach BYU had that we did not deserve. The only black mark on his record is his record against the utes. He is a terrific coach and UVA is going to learn that soon. BYU fans who are celebrating this are going to be wishing he was still here when we are not able to hire a replacement that is half the coach that he is. The only candidate that would have me feeling comfortable about a replacement would be Andy Reid and he is not coming to BYU.


Two things.



That's nice you have a crystal ball.



And it's hard to overstate just HOW BIG of a black mark Bronco's record against the Utes was. I realize there are some fans who convinced themselves that it didn't matter that much but they're imbeciles.



Bronco could have also done better against ranked/BCS/P5 teams. Especially on the big stage when it really counted. Like in 2009 when we're playing TCU in Provo and College Game Day is there. :whistle:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Do I need a crystal ball to recognize a good coach when I see one? We have a perfect example of what happens when an unproven coach follows a really good proven head coach when Lavell retired. Everyone was ecstatic about Crowton, I heard some guys saying Lavell would never have been 12-0 in 2001 that Crowton was the second coming of the Lord, and then he had a losing record from that time on coupled with 2 huge and embarrassing sex scandals. Looking at the current pool of coaches that meet the BYU criteria, I am very underwhelmed. At best we get someone with "potential" to lead the team through the toughest, on paper, schedules in the history of the school. I will be rooting for the new guy to succeed as hard as I rooted for Bronco but IMO, we are about to see some tough times at BYU because we underappreciated a very good head coach that won a lot of games for us with recruiting restrictions put in place by the BOT after the 2004 sex scandals. Bronco had just been given some platitudes on recruiting to get guys that were more questionable and was trusted to deal with them. The new guy will not get that until he proves he can manage guys and not have any scandals.


You and others act like you have a crystal ball concerning how the new coach will do next season and thereafter. True, the odds certainly suggest they will struggle against such a tough schedule but I'm not convinced Bronco wouldn't have as well. In fact, I wonder if it played a part in him leaving when he did.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
KingCoug wrote:
KingCoug wrote:
Bronco Mendenhall is a coach BYU had that we did not deserve. The only black mark on his record is his record against the utes. He is a terrific coach and UVA is going to learn that soon. BYU fans who are celebrating this are going to be wishing he was still here when we are not able to hire a replacement that is half the coach that he is. The only candidate that would have me feeling comfortable about a replacement would be Andy Reid and he is not coming to BYU.


Two things.



That's nice you have a crystal ball.



And it's hard to overstate just HOW BIG of a black mark Bronco's record against the Utes was. I realize there are some fans who convinced themselves that it didn't matter that much but they're imbeciles.



Bronco could have also done better against ranked/BCS/P5 teams. Especially on the big stage when it really counted. Like in 2009 when we're playing TCU in Provo and College Game Day is there. :whistle:



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Do I need a crystal ball to recognize a good coach when I see one? We have a perfect example of what happens when an unproven coach follows a really good proven head coach when Lavell retired. Everyone was ecstatic about Crowton, I heard some guys saying Lavell would never have been 12-0 in 2001 that Crowton was the second coming of the Lord, and then he had a losing record from that time on coupled with 2 huge and embarrassing sex scandals. Looking at the current pool of coaches that meet the BYU criteria, I am very underwhelmed. At best we get someone with "potential" to lead the team through the toughest, on paper, schedules in the history of the school. I will be rooting for the new guy to succeed as hard as I rooted for Bronco but IMO, we are about to see some tough times at BYU because we underappreciated a very good head coach that won a lot of games for us with recruiting restrictions put in place by the BOT after the 2004 sex scandals. Bronco had just been given some platitudes on recruiting to get guys that were more questionable and was trusted to deal with them. The new guy will not get that until he proves he can manage guys and not have any scandals.


You and others act like you have a crystal ball concerning how the new coach will do next season and thereafter. True, the odds certainly suggest they will struggle against such a tough schedule but I'm not convinced Bronco wouldn't have as well. In fact, I wonder if it played a part in him leaving when he did.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Bronco had a role in creating that schedule and said in public it was exactly what he wanted, so to say that he left because of it is calling him a coward. IMO, I think that Bronco would have had a winning record at least with next years schedule. We will see if an unproven coordinator coach, promoted to head coach, will be able to do the same.
B
Brayden Green
Bronco is a smart guy. I think he was smart enough to know that the next 8-5 season (or a 5th straight loss to the rival Utes) would be his last. He probably gets both next season, and instead he went to a program that paid 40% more, and the next seat is cold for the next 2 years.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
Brayden Green wrote:
Bronco is a smart guy. I think he was smart enough to know that the next 8-5 season (or a 5th straight loss to the rival Utes) would be his last. He probably gets both next season, and he went to a program that paid 40% more, and the next seat is cold for the next 2 years.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


We'll see if Bronco loses his 5th straight to Yewtah on Dec. 19th in Las Vegas. 13 days and counting.
C
Cougs_Rule
Brayden Green wrote:
Bronco is a smart guy. I think he was smart enough to know that the next 8-5 season (or a 5th straight loss to the rival Utes) would be his last. He probably gets both next season, and he went to a program that paid 40% more, and the next seat is cold for the next 2 years.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Where in the world do get a 40% increase in pay?
B
Brayden Green
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Bronco is a smart guy. I think he was smart enough to know that the next 8-5 season (or a 5th straight loss to the rival Utes) would be his last. He probably gets both next season, and he went to a program that paid 40% more, and the next seat is cold for the next 2 years.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Where in the world do get a 40% increase in pay?


??? Not sure what you are saying here.



Bronco is reporting as getting anywhere from 1.75 million to 2.5 million depending on bonuses. He will start at 3.2 million at UVA, which is roughly a 40% to 100% increase in pay depnding on which reports you believe.
B
Brayden Green
Ddawg wrote:
Bronco is a smart guy. I think he was smart enough to know that the next 8-5 season (or a 5th straight loss to the rival Utes) would be his last. He probably gets both next season, and he went to a program that paid 40% more, and the next seat is cold for the next 2 years.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


We'll see if Bronco loses his 5th straight to Yewtah on Dec. 19th in Las Vegas. 13 days and counting.


I hope he doesn't. That would be cool for him to end his tenure here with a win against Utah.
S
snoscythe
Brayden Green wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:
Bronco is a smart guy. I think he was smart enough to know that the next 8-5 season (or a 5th straight loss to the rival Utes) would be his last. He probably gets both next season, and he went to a program that paid 40% more, and the next seat is cold for the next 2 years.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Where in the world do get a 40% increase in pay?


??? Not sure what you are saying here.



Bronco is reporting as getting anywhere from 1.75 million to 2.5 million depending on bonuses. He will start at 3.2 million at UVA, which is roughly a 40% to 100% increase in pay depnding on which reports you believe.


Yeah, but his base pay at BYU has never been reported to be over $1 million. He also gets bonuses and marketing income from UVA that is not part of the base $3.25 million either. Like Wrubell said on Friday--Bronco just tripled his salary.
Advertisement
B
Brayden Green
Good point. I don't think he is going to have an easy time at UVA, I think those bonuses are pretty safe from their standpoint, but 3+ million is great for Bronco, and I am happy for him. In 4 years I see him stepping away from football and going off grid. And good for him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarfan87
Brayden Green wrote:
Good point. I don't think he is going to have an easy time at UVA, I think those bonuses are pretty safe from their standpoint, but 3+ million is great for Bronco, and I am happy for him. In 4 years I see him stepping away from football and going off grid. And good for him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Isn't his wife from Montana? Occasionally, you see big time coaches retire from FBS football, but show up in FCS. I could see him resurfacing to coach the perrenial contenders in Montana...the Grizzlies, I think.
Y
Ygridiron4ever
How many P5 schools don't hold football practice on Sunday? Do you think Bronco will follow the Ken M model at Navy?



On a side note: as a resident of Virginia, I want to welcome the Mendenhall family to our beautiful State! I will be cheering for VA unless they play BYU!
G
Guest
McY wrote:
I am one of those imbeciles, but as those close to me would say, tell us something we don't already know. I would have much preferred a better record against Utah, but Bronco was a fabulous coach. I wish he was staying a little longer, but good for him on the tiny raise and new opportunity.


I sure wish I could get a tiny raise that would triple my salary.
S
Schmoe
Man, if I got that tiny raise, I'd be making almost as much as Hawkwing.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.