Archived Topic

Taysom Hill returning for 2016

by Fido · 2/16/2016

Advertisement
R
redneckjedi
nuk13 wrote:
If Taysom's legs hold out I'd like to see them both in the same backfield on occasion. How would you like to be a linebacker facing a backfield like that?


I wouldn't mind so much - you're not going to use either as an extra protector, Mangum is not a big run threat, and it's unlikely you're going to throw to the one that doesn't have the ball. So, if I see that, I know there's one less receiver in the pattern, and I can pull one guy out of pass coverage and throw him at the backfield; plan on going after Hill, unless/until I see that Mangum has the ball. It doesn't give you that much more to defend; it'll force teams to be really honest on play action, and the secondary won't be able to leave their assignments for run support as quickly, but they can blow up either situation easily if they can get good penetration.



If you're going to play them both, I'd much rather see Hill split out wide. You could do a smoke screen and let him jump over a few DBs, you could have him come in motion for a fly sweep, or you could make sure the screen to him is a lateral and have a run/pass option based on whether the DBs covering the other receivers bite on the throw to Hill and leave their man or stay with their assignment.
B
byucougar1
Taysom beat out Tanner in QB competition heading into NE. Taysom's stats for the game, as well as his historical records are as follows:



CAREER STATS

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR

2015 21 34 268 61.8 7.88 53 1 1 3 131.8 68.5 66.8

2014 88 132 975 66.7 7.39 56 7 3 14 141.7 78.3 86.5

2013 236 438 2938 53.9 6.71 60 19 14 37 118.2 61.5 70.3

2012 42 71 425 59.2 5.99 28 4 2 6 122.4 70.6 76.4



To re-emphasize, in his only game of 2015, and his first game against a P5 team, he completed 21 of 34 passes for 268 yards and one touchdown. He also rushed for 72 yards and two TDs before the season-ending foot injury. I don't think Ty will have to search long and hard to find ways to utilize Taysom. He clearly is a dual threat QB that can hurt you with his legs or arm...think Russell Wilson type of player.
S
SpiffCoug
byucougar1 wrote:
Taysom beat out Tanner in QB competition heading into NE.


This is just false. There was no QB competition heading into the Nebraska game last year. Taysom was the starter from Day 1 of fall camp. There was no debate over the starting QB last year. At no point was anyone other than Taysom considered for the starting job.
B
BoiseBYU
T cubed (Taysom X Ty X Tanner) here we come
B
byucougar1
Tanner had the opportunity to prove himself in camp. Yes, he was going against the incumbent, but the coaches wanted to give him ample opportunity to progress and get up to speed. He not only played in the Spring game, he received a large number of snaps in practice...just in case of injury to Hill, who had been injured twice previously. There is a reason that he was able to slip into the game somewhat seamlessly and it was due to the reps that he received.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Taysom wouldn't be coming back to BYU to play back-up to Tanner. He, and I believe, the coaches expect to see him start (if he is healthy). He stresses defenses much more than Tanner who is not a dual threat QB. MI, MO, et. al. were able to put extreme pressure on Tanner by disrupting the timing of the WR getting off the line as they did not fear his running ability. Cam Newton plays in a pro-style offense and still has the opportunity to run or have designed runs when the option is there. I see Taysom having similar options.
S
SpiffCoug
byucougar1 wrote:
Tanner had the opportunity to prove himself in camp. Yes, he was going against the incumbent, but the coaches wanted to give him ample opportunity to progress and get up to speed. He not only played in the Spring game, he received a large number of snaps in practice...just in case of injury to Hill, who had been injured twice previously. There is a reason that he was able to slip into the game somewhat seamlessly and it was due to the reps that he received.

He played in the spring game in 2013 not 2015. He did not receive any reps in spring camp last year. He returned from his mission less than three months from the season opener. He may have gotten more reps in fall camp but that was not compete to be the starter, it was so that should Taysom get hurt the backup would have some semblance of an idea of what the offense was.



The reason he was able to slip seamlessly in the game and season is due to his talent.
F
Fido
byucougar1 wrote:
Taysom wouldn't be coming back to BYU to play back-up to Tanner. He, and I believe, the coaches expect to see him start (if he is healthy). He stresses defenses much more than Tanner who is not a dual threat QB. MI, MO, et. al. were able to put extreme pressure on Tanner by disrupting the timing of the WR getting off the line as they did not fear his running ability. Cam Newton plays in a pro-style offense and still has the opportunity to run or have designed runs when the option is there. I see Taysom having similar options.


This is the big kicker--I haven't heard any reports that say he will do anything more than get "mental reps" in spring ball. I'll believe he is healthy and ready to compete for the starting job when we see it.
B
byucougar1
It is probably best to quote from Tanner why he performed the way he did,



On the process of getting game-ready since his mission:



“So I came home knowing I would just have a few months getting ready for the season. As a backup, you have to prepare as if you’re going to be the guy, because if you don’t, you’re going to be surprised and you won’t be ready. So all summer long I’ve been preparing myself mentally. With every rep I try and visualize it as if it were in the game so that way if the opportunity comes, and I’m called upon, I can step in and do my job. I didn’t know when the time was going to come and it came during the second quarter. So when Coach Anae said ‘You’re in,’ I said ‘Alright, let’s do it.’ I was ready and I have to credit Taysom and the coaches who helped me to be prepared for that situation.”



And Bronco's response to Tanner's being ready for the NE game:



"We really didn’t talk to him much about it. I think our entire focus was just being so excited that Taysom was back, that we had an experienced quarterback and that we could really go and play anyone and beat anyone on our schedule as long as Taysom was our quarterback. That was kind of our focus. And if I did learn anything from a year ago was that our team’s identity was and is tied a lot to our quarterback position and so I think we certainly now have addressed that, maybe in a different way – hopefully a better way – in terms of now framing the rest of the team of stepping up and doing more, rather than just relying on the quarterback to determine the identity of our team."



Clearly Tanner prepared for the moment, had a special skill set, but he also credits Taysom and the coaches for helping him out to learn the system and be ready. Again, I believe that if Hill is healthy, he still has more talent and experience than Tanner.



I don't foresee them not working together nor not challenging each other to become the starter.
M
mvcoug
byucougar1 wrote:
Taysom wouldn't be coming back to BYU to play back-up to Tanner. He, and I believe, the coaches expect to see him start (if he is healthy). He stresses defenses much more than Tanner who is not a dual threat QB. MI, MO, et. al. were able to put extreme pressure on Tanner by disrupting the timing of the WR getting off the line as they did not fear his running ability. Cam Newton plays in a pro-style offense and still has the opportunity to run or have designed runs when the option is there. I see Taysom having similar options.


Actually Cam Newton does not run a pro style offense. The majority of their offense is ran out of the shotgun and they have a lot of quarterback designed runs and the majority of their running plays are a read option where Cam decides whether to keep the ball or hand it off.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
F
Fido
699755870226255872

699756010068520961

699756256601313280

699756526731292672
B
byucougar1
By design, Shula and Ron Rivera want the read-option (for Newton) to be used much less. Read coverage, pass first in the pocket and run as the defense dictates. They have specific designed counter plays and runs up the middle when coverage is not focused on him. The goal of the OL is to buy Newton time, so that his receivers can get open and find holes in the man coverage. Running occurs when WR are covered or when there is a designed play. If Ty takes advantage of Taysom's dual threat ability, I believe the O will look something like what Cam is able to do.



And returning to the Tanner vs. Taysom comparison, should Taysom return to full health, this is the type of play that we could expect when there is tight pass coverage, and a play needs to be made. This is why he was being mentioned as a Heisman candidate.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rG7QoUMGiI&feature=player_embedded#t=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
T
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
My takeaways:



1. Depth. For the first time in awhile, I can say that we have two elite QBs who are capable of competing against anyone.



2. Civil competition. I'll say it once only, Tanner v. Taysom for the starting spot is very different from Riley v. Jake. We have now two players with a team first mentality. We have two players who are on a different plane with talent.



3. Competition uncertainty. Can you even imagine what Arizona's defense is preparing for? They won't know what hit them. Detmer has all my confidence to maximize both of these players' abilities.



4. Mix. In the hypothetical situation that Detmer uses both. (And JSwagg) in the backfield, there is not much a defense can do to prepare against all offensive possibilities.



5. Wow. Can you even imagine a more exciting time to be a Cougar? This is insane. Before Tatsom's decsion, I thought a 10 win season was a really big stretch goal. Now, I'm thinking it's much more possible.



Go BYU!!!!!! Go Cougs! Make 2016 a year to remember! This is the toughest schedule in BYU history, baby, just win!!!!!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
This will either work out great or completely back fire. It's a huge risk.



If anything, it lights a fire under Tanner. IMO, it's his job to lose.



I see why TH came back. If he wants any shot at a pro career he needs a healthy year under his belt.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BOID
After all that had been said, my two cents:



1--- Taysom apparently believes he can come back in time for fall camp, or he wouldn't be announcing his return. Who knows how well rehabbed he will be. We can all hope.



2--- If Taysom's rehab and physical recovery is complete, or at 100 percent, then I would say that there is little doubt that he would win the starting job over Tanner. Taysom is that awesome as an athlete. He's simply not human. We won't see that kind of physical talent again in our life times.



3--- I really like Tanner, and don't want him to waste a year of eligibility. I think it would be far better for him to preserve his playing time as the starting, full time QB, than to seek on-going development as part of a dual quarterback system under Taysom, or even equal to Taysom. I think that the only reason for Tanner NOT to red-shirt, is if he simply is able to beat Taysom out front for the starting job. I would be happy if that is the outcome, because it would mean that Tanner had become just that great. He has the potential.



4--- What do I want? My first choice of events would be to get four more years of great quarterbacking at BYU rather than three. I hope that Taysom makes it back, and that Tanner red-shirts, and that they both make it through their remaining college careers without further injury.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
F
Fido
byucougar1 wrote:
By design, Shula and Ron Rivera want the read-option (for Newton) to be used much less. Read coverage, pass first in the pocket and run as the defense dictates. They have specific designed counter plays and runs up the middle when coverage is not focused on him. The goal of the OL is to buy Newton time, so that his receivers can get open and find holes in the man coverage. Running occurs when WR are covered or when there is a designed play. If Ty takes advantage of Taysom's dual threat ability, I believe the O will look something like what Cam is able to do.



And returning to the Tanner vs. Taysom comparison, should Taysom return to full health, this is the type of play that we could expect when there is tight pass coverage, and a play needs to be made. This is why he was being mentioned as a Heisman candidate.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rG7QoUMGiI&feature=player_embedded#t=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shoot for the stars I suppose. Taking one of a guy's best career highlights and expecting him to match it even post-injury can only set one up for disappointment. Ask the Chuckie Keeton fans.
B
Brayden Green
I'm very sure that Tanner won't redshirt, and I doubt he'll be asked to. He isn't going to want to be a 24 year old Sophomore.



This job is Tanner's. He earned it. IF Taysom is healthy (let's be honest, this is a BIG if, at this point) then he should have an honest chance to take it from him. And if he does, then good for him. But he won't. Tanner is too good of a player, and Hill won't be healthy enough. He will be the best backup in the country, though. And I would love to see him situationally.



If our Oline is anything like it has been the last 5 years we are going to need both quarterbacks to make it through this season, anyways.
S
snoscythe
David Nixon (Taysom's brother-in-law) said yesterday that Taysom wasn't sure whether he would play again or not until recently. In the last two weeks he turned the corner in his recovery to where he feels like being ready in time for Fall Camp is realistic. He said Taysom will be taking "mental reps" through Spring and that he doesn't think missing physical reps will be that much of a set-back for a guy who has been through as many Spring and Fall Camps as Taysom has at this point. The physical aspects of the game aren't changing with a new offense, so the mental aspect of picking up the new packages etc. will be the key in the QB competition.
C
Cougs_Rule
i wouldnt be surprised also if his decision and tweet was as much letting other schools know and byu fans, thats hes staying a cougar, to end speculation and side chatter.

i cant believe that he actually has pyhysical confirmation that he is going to be able to be full strength. and it makes sense, bc a LF injury takes a long time to recover from and many never play again. But, that, he isnt cleared to do certain workouts in wieght room nor hard foot planting and cuts. I wouldnt be surprised to see him not cleared or recovered enough to play and that wont be known until this summer. I hope he will recover, but would predict a lower likelihood that he plays again at full strength. just my guess.
B
byufan4ever
I have to agree with this article:



http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-football/2016/2/16/11023660/byu-football-quarterback-qb-competition-taysom-hill-tanner-mangum



Start Tanner and use Taysom like on 3rd and short, near the goaline, and just for a change of pace to throw the defense off. But I'd like to see 75% of the snaps go to Tanner.


The Cougars were more explosive offensively under Mangum with 41 plays, 32 of which were passes, going for 30+ yards. That's more than any of the previous 5 seasons, all while committing fewer turnovers and surrendering less sacks than his predecessors.


The 100% fully weaponized Hill is gone. It won't be restored in the next 200 days before BYU plays Arizona. Given Hill's problems with health, which is only made more problematic by Taysom's approach to the gridiron, his best role to help the 2016 Cougars is to be the backup -- just not in the traditional sense.


In Taysom Hill's career, he's run the football 30 times on 3rd down and 1-3 yards to go. Taysom gained a first down in 23 of those attempts. Passing on 3rd and short in Taysom's career yields 17-for-28 (60.7%) and 13 first downs. In his 58 career 3rd and short scenarios, Hill extended the drive 36 times (62%). Awesome.
Page 2 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.