Archived Topic

Taysom Hill returning for 2016

by Fido · 2/16/2016

Advertisement
G
Guest
I'd rather Taysom go somewhere else than be used on 5 snaps a game. He's too talented to not be on the field every snap.
F
frdbtr
The difference between Tanner and Taysom is, Taysom has the ability to score a TD with his legs every time he touches the ball + he has the ability to complete 65% of his passes. Tanner is a really good QB and will probably end up breaking all of BYU's passing records by the time he is done but Taysom is still the superior option when healthy. Frankly, everyone should be hoping Taysom is 100% by the time game 1 rolls around because his playmaking ability could cover up the growing pains that the new coaching staff is going through long enough to give them time to get things together giving BYU the opportunity to have a winning season next year. Taysom hill and his athleticism is the only chance BYU has of beating the utes in week 2.
R
redneckjedi
frdbtr wrote:
The difference between Tanner and Taysom is, Taysom has the ability to score a TD with his legs every time he touches the ball + he has the ability to complete 65% of his passes. Tanner is a really good QB and will probably end up breaking all of BYU's passing records by the time he is done but Taysom is still the superior option when healthy. Frankly, everyone should be hoping Taysom is 100% by the time game 1 rolls around because his playmaking ability could cover up the growing pains that the new coaching staff is going through long enough to give them time to get things together giving BYU the opportunity to have a winning season next year. Taysom hill and his athleticism is the only chance BYU has of beating the utes in week 2.


I agree with this except for the last sentence. We were a couple plays away (missed PI against Kurtz, successful onside kick at the end, a stop at the end, etc.) from beating Utah in the bowl game, after gifting them 35 points. A more experienced Tanner with Ty Detmer coaching him can absolutely shred them, a la 1989. I believe we can beat the Utes with either QB - it's just a question of taste. Do you want 1989 vs. Utah? Or do you want 2013 vs. Texas? Both those guys will be out for blood, and have the talent to get it. No question.
F
frdbtr
redneckjedi wrote:
The difference between Tanner and Taysom is, Taysom has the ability to score a TD with his legs every time he touches the ball + he has the ability to complete 65% of his passes. Tanner is a really good QB and will probably end up breaking all of BYU's passing records by the time he is done but Taysom is still the superior option when healthy. Frankly, everyone should be hoping Taysom is 100% by the time game 1 rolls around because his playmaking ability could cover up the growing pains that the new coaching staff is going through long enough to give them time to get things together giving BYU the opportunity to have a winning season next year. Taysom hill and his athleticism is the only chance BYU has of beating the utes in week 2.


I agree with this except for the last sentence. We were a couple plays away (missed PI against Kurtz, successful onside kick at the end, a stop at the end, etc.) from beating Utah in the bowl game, after gifting them 35 points. A more experienced Tanner with Ty Detmer coaching him can absolutely shred them, a la 1989. I believe we can beat the Utes with either QB - it's just a question of taste. Do you want 1989 vs. Utah? Or do you want 2013 vs. Texas? Both those guys will be out for blood, and have the talent to get it. No question.


Since we lost to utah by 7 points, we lost our entire coaching staff and replaced them with guys who have little to no college coaching experience. I think Ty Detmer was a grand slam home run hire but he has never called a game against a college defense, it is going to take time for things to come together. On top of the inexperience we have on the offensive side, we lost Bronco's defense which shut utah's offense off once the turnover machine stopped running. BYU no longer has that and IMO, I will have to see it to believe it that this defense will be anywhere near as dominant as any of Bronco's defenses have been since he was hired in 03. I have hopes that BYU will return to 80's dominance over the utes but I am in wait and see mode right now.
Y
YNot
If any QB redshirts in 2016, it had better be Beau Hoge.



Even if Taysom recovers 100% and is clearly the #1 starting QB, I hope Tanner is the clear back-up and gets plenty of practice reps and playing time. I see little reason to keep Tanner on the bench in favor of Hoge or any other back-up. Let's get the best possible 2-deep available. If Tanner has a shot at the NFL, he's leaving before 2019 - whether a junior or senior.



However, I am not confident that Taysom will be 100% or the clear #1 starter. I see it playing out similarly to the scenario outlined in the Vanquish the Foe article - where Tanner is the #1 starting quarterback, but that Taysom sees the field much more than your typical backup - he might take 10-15 snaps and be on the field 20-25 plays.



But if Tanner is having any Michigan-type repeats (@WVU, @Michigan St., and Miss. St. the most likely candidates), Taysom gets more playing time.



It could be fun and something special to see this play out.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
IMO, we have a starter and we have a backup. We don't have a QB riding the bench that will come in if the starter is having a "Michigan" like game. When you do that to a guy, he is constantly looking at the sidelines wondering if his last play got him benched.
Y
YNot
frdbtr wrote:
IMO, we have a starter and we have a backup. We don't have a QB riding the bench that will come in if the starter is having a "Michigan" like game. When you do that to a guy, he is constantly looking at the sidelines wondering if his last play got him benched.


We agree.



However, BYU had 105 total yards in the Michigan game.



I'm not talking about yanking a player because of poor decisions or a couple of INTs. Michigan's defense shut down the entire offensive game plan; it would have been nice to have Taysom's legs and skillset to try something else to get things going.
F
frdbtr
YNot wrote:
IMO, we have a starter and we have a backup. We don't have a QB riding the bench that will come in if the starter is having a "Michigan" like game. When you do that to a guy, he is constantly looking at the sidelines wondering if his last play got him benched.


We agree.



However, BYU had 105 total yards in the Michigan game.



I'm not talking about yanking a player because of poor decisions or a couple of INTs. Michigan's defense shut down the entire offensive game plan; it would have been nice to have Taysom's legs and skillset to try something else to get things going.


I guess, my point is, if Taysom is the better option against those types of teams, he should be the starter. :)
B
byufan4ever
hawkwing wrote:
I'd rather Taysom go somewhere else than be used on 5 snaps a game. He's too talented to not be on the field every snap.


Taysom has said that he's staying. So if Tanner wins the starting job fair and square, what do you do with Hill? Give him a clipboard and let him hold up signs? Might as well use him in limited amounts.



As I quoted in my previous post I think there are good reasons and stats to back up the 75% Tanner 25% Taysom. Look, I love watching Hill WHEN he's healthy, but he's just so brittle. The chances of him making it an entire season are very low IMO and some are saying he won't even be 100% for the Arizona game.
G
Guest
byufan4ever wrote:
I'd rather Taysom go somewhere else than be used on 5 snaps a game. He's too talented to not be on the field every snap.


Taysom has said that he's staying. So if Tanner wins the starting job fair and square, what do you do with Hill? Give him a clipboard and let him hold up signs? Might as well use him in limited amounts.



As I quoted in my previous post I think there are good reasons and stats to back up the 75% Tanner 25% Taysom. Look, I love watching Hill WHEN he's healthy, but he's just so brittle. The chances of him making it an entire season are very low IMO and some are saying he won't even be 100% for the Arizona game.


If Tanner wins then I'm all for Tanner getting 90% or more of the snaps. Best QB should play with only a rare change of pace guy.
Advertisement
B
bamf3000
hawkwing wrote:
I'd rather Taysom go somewhere else than be used on 5 snaps a game. He's too talented to not be on the field every snap.


I agree. Dude is such a stud that him sitting on the bench at all is a waste. I wonder if the bigger reason for him staying at BYU is that they dont know what his health will look like at the start of the season.



Going elsewhere, not being able to participate in spring ball due to injury, in a new school and new system, would not likely go well for him or the school that took him.



Staying at BYU allows him to know the team, know at least part of the offense, be a leader, and if he isn't completely healthy, then he gets to stay at the school he enjoys and can help in other aspects. He likely wouldnt get those same opportunities at another school.
G
Guest
bamf3000 wrote:
I'd rather Taysom go somewhere else than be used on 5 snaps a game. He's too talented to not be on the field every snap.


I agree. Dude is such a stud that him sitting on the bench at all is a waste. I wonder if the bigger reason for him staying at BYU is that they dont know what his health will look like at the start of the season.



Going elsewhere, not being able to participate in spring ball due to injury, in a new school and new system, would not likely go well for him or the school that took him.



Staying at BYU allows him to know the team, know at least part of the offense, be a leader, and if he isn't completely healthy, then he gets to stay at the school he enjoys and can help in other aspects. He likely wouldnt get those same opportunities at another school.

Great thoughts.
Page 3 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.